BA in Applied Psychology
The Criminal Justice concentration introduces BA in Applied Psychology students to the criminal justice system and prepares them in the principles of organizational psychology, criminal behavior, social control and criminal procedure and policies.
This degree is ideal for those seeking professions in corrections, criminal law, criminal psychology and clinical psychology.
The BA in Applied Psychology with Criminal Justice concentration comprises 120 credit hours. Courses in the Business Communication concentration are offered in accelerated, 8-week sessions. All courses are offered in the traditional (in-person) format with several courses also available online.
I. Applied Psychology Major Courses: 36 credit hours
- CPST 360 Organizational Development and Change
- CPST 370 Leadership Theories and Applications
- CPST 380 Leadership, Culture and Ethics
- PSYC 101 General Psychology
- PSYC 279 Judgment and Decision-Making
- PSYC 275 Social Psychology
- PSYC 304 Statistics
- PSYC 306 Research Methods
- PSYC 353 Applied Social Psychology
- PSYC 356 Consumer Psychology
- PSYC 362 Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- PSYC 364 Organizational Psychology
II. SCPS Core: 9 credit hours
- CPST 200 Introduction to Degree Completion
- CPST 201 Professional Identity and Development
- CPST 399 Capstone
III. Criminal Justice Concentration
- CJC 101: The Criminal Justice System
- CJC 201: Theories of Criminal Behavior
- CJC 203: Policing
- CJC 204: Corrections
- CJC 322: Criminal Law
- CJC 323: Criminal Procedure
IV. University Core Requirements
What are employers looking for? Employers say they are looking for a demonstrated capacity in these areas:
- think critically
- communicate clearly
- solve complex problems
- ethical judgment and integrity
- intercultural skills
- the capacity for continued new learning
- written and oral communication
- applied knowledge in real-world settings
- broad knowledge in the liberal arts and sciences
In the University Core you will further develop your skills. Learn more about University Core Requirements.
A total of 120 credits are required for the degree at Loyola University Chicago. Sources of the remaining credits can include courses offered in the SCPS 8-week session schedule or the 16-week semester schedule. Transfer credits (not already used in the major, concentration, or University Core), Prior Learning Assessment, CLEP, DSST, or ACE-evaluated credits (such as your military transcript) can all used to fulfill the remaining elective credit requirements that get you to 120 credits, subject to residency and other requirements.