The BA in Applied Studies provides a strong foundation in communication and business, and a concentration in Business Communication prepares students for a variety of careers in the following fields: politics; media and broadcasting; or law and government.
This program is ideal for students interested in business communications careers such as speech writer, media correspondent, legal mediator, labor relations specialist.
The BA in Applied Studies with Business Communication concentration comprises 120 credit hours. Courses in the Business Communication concentration are offered in accelerated, 8-week sessions. All courses are offered in the traditional (in-person) format with several courses available online.
I. Foundational Skills (9 credit hours)
- ECON 201 or 202 Microeconomics or Macroeconomics (3 credit hours)
- CPST 200 Introduction to Degree Completion (3 credit hours)
- CPST 290 World Geography (3 credit hours)
II. Communication Skills (9 credit hours)
Required: COMM 175 Introduction to Communication (3 credit hours)
Writing Skills -- Select one course from the following: (3 credit hours)
- ENGL 185 Creative Writing
- ENGL 310 Advanced Writing
- CPST 315 Professional Technical Writing
Communication Skills --Select one course from the following: (3 credit hours)
- COMM 101 Public Speaking and Critical Thinking
- COMM 237 Small Group Communication
- COMM 215 Ethics & Communication
III. Career Preparation (9 credit hours)
Required: CPST 310 Accounting Principles and Applications (3 credit hours)
Applied Skills -- Select one course of the following (3 credit hours)
- CPST 247 Computer Concepts and Applications
- STAT 103 Statistics
Theoretical Skills -- Select one from the following (3 credit hours)
- CPST 370 Theories of Leadership
- CPST 360 Marketing and Organizational Behavior
- CPST 340 Principles of Marketing
- PLSC 367 International Political Economy
- COMM 103 Business and Professional Speaking
- COMM 210 Public Relations
- COMM 231 Conflict Management Communication
- COMM 240 Communication and New Media
- COMM 268 Persuasion
- COMM 277 Organizational Communication
University Core Requirements: 48 credit hours
University Core Curriculum courses carry three credit hours per class, unless otherwise indicated. Some requirements may be fulfilled by transfer credit. Please speak to an SCPS academic advisor about prior credits. For the most up-to-date listing of courses for each University Core Curriculum knowledge area, see LUC.edu/core.
Electives: 27 credit hours
Courses offered in the SCPS 8-week session schedule, the 16-week semester schedule or from existing transfer credit can be used to fulfill elective credit requirements.