BA in Management
The BA in Pastoral Leadership program is ideal for adults currently serving as lay ministers or seeking employment as pastoral caregivers, spiritual directors, social justice advocates, or educators in organizations whose mission focuses on social justice or religious education. The program may also be beneficial for those working directly with social service or faith-based organizations or looking to broaden their foundation of managerial knowledge and skills.
Additionally, the program is part of a five-year dual-degree option in which students may earn both a B.A. from the School of Continuing and Professional Studies and an M.A. from Loyola University Chicago’s Institute of Pastoral Studies.
The BA in Management with Pastoral Leadership concentration comprises 120 credit hours. Courses in the Pastoral Leadership concentration are offered in accelerated, 8-week sessions. All courses are offered in the traditional (in-person) format with several courses available online.
I. Management Major: 39 credit hours
- COMM 237: Small Group Communication
- COMM 273: Interpersonal Communication
- CPST 247: Computer Concepts and Applications or Information Systems
- CPST 250: Foundations of Organizations
- CPST 310: Accounting Principles and Applications
- CPST 340: Marketing Concepts and Strategies
- CPST 349: Project Management
- CPST 350: Human Resource Principles and Practices
- CPST 371: Organizational Finance
- ECON 201: Principles of Economics: Introduction to Microeconomics
- ECON 202: Principles of Economics: Introduction to Macroeconomics
- LREB 315: Law & Regulatory Environment of Business I
- STAT 103: Statistics
II. SCPS Common Curriculum: 9 credit hours
- CPST 200: Introduction to Degree Completion
- CPST 201: Professional Identity and Development
- CPST 397: Capstone
III. Pastoral Leadership Concentration: 18 credit hours
- PSYC 338: Psychology of Personality
- COMM 231: Communication and Conflict Management
- IPS 570: Introduction to Theology and Ministry
Choose three of the following courses* (9 credit hours):
- IPS 610: Foundations of Social Justice
- IPS 620: Diversity and Equity
- IPS 660: Leadership in Social Justice Organizations
- IPS 416: Christian Origins: An Exploration of the New Testament
- IPS 417: Literature of Ancient Israel
- IPS 402: The Church and Its Mission
* These courses double-count towards your MA in Pastoral Studies curriculum as well.
IV. University Core Requirements
What are employers looking for? Employers say they are looking for a demonstrated capacity in these areas:
- think critically
- communicate clearly
- solve complex problems
- ethical judgment and integrity
- intercultural skills
- the capacity for continued new learning
- written and oral communication
- applied knowledge in real-world settings
- broad knowledge in the liberal arts and sciences
In the University Core you will further develop your skills. Learn more about University Core Requirements.
A total of 120 credits are required for the degree at Loyola University Chicago. Sources of the remaining credits can include courses offered in the SCPS 8-week session schedule or the 16-week semester schedule. Transfer credits (not already used in the major, concentration, or University Core), Prior Learning Assessment, CLEP, DSST, or ACE-evaluated credits (such as your military transcript) can all used to fulfill the remaining elective credit requirements that get you to 120 credits, subject to residency and other requirements.