Highly Qualified Faculty & Staff
Title/s: Senior Lecturer
Office #: Lewis Towers 401
As a former extern at the Cook County Public Defender, Mr. Somers has represented many clients in a variety of criminal defense matters. He also handles a wide variety of business litigation matters including commercial and complex civil litigation, asset recovery and collections, and bankruptcy matters concerning creditor’s rights. In addition to his criminal practice, Mr. Somers has defended a regional manufacturer in product liability lawsuits, and has assisted banking and financial corporations and bankruptcy trustees in recovering tangible and intangible assets from debtors, collecting accounts, enforcing negotiable instruments, avoiding preferences within the parameters of the new Bankruptcy Code.
Mr. Somers has lectured at several local universities and is currently an Adjunct Professor at Loyola University Chicago, where he teaches Leadership, Culture, and Ethics and Art of Persuasion. Mr. Somers has been a guest lecturer at several area Universities lecturing on employment law issues as well as conflict resolution through negotiation. During law school, Mr. Somers was the National Runner-up at the Michigan State University National Trial Advocacy Competition and represented DePaul University’s National Trial Team for two consecutive semesters. Mr. Somers is admitted to practice in all Illinois Courts, United States District Court for the Northern, Central, and Southern Districts of Illinois. Mr. Somers is a member of the American Bar Association, Illinois Bar Association, and the Chicago Bar Association.
- J.D., 2003 from DePaul University College of Law, Chicago, IL
- B.A. in Organizational Management, 2000 from Concordia University, River Forest IL
- COMM 268 - Persuasion
- CPST 380 - Leadership, Culture and Ethics
- CPST 350 Human Resources, Principles and Operations
- CPST 380 Leadership, Culture, and Ethics
- COMM 268 Persuasion
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Depaul College of Law Evening Law Student Society, President, 2001-2003
- DePaul College of Law Evening Law Student Society, Vice President, 2000-2001
- Moot Court Society- ABA 13th Annual National Criminal Justice Trial Advocacy Competition, Spring 2003
- Moot Court Society-National Runner Up- 4th Annual National Trip Advocacy Competition, Fall 2003
"I learned so much from this class! The discussions were wonderful, the texts he assigned were so interesting and Professor Somers himself is a fount of knowledge. I always looked forward to this class each week as did my co−workers who were very interested in what I was learning and I would share with them."