Loyola University Chicago

- Navigation -

Loyola University Chicago

University Archives & Special Collections

Loyola presidents 1900-1970

1870-1900                      1970-2008

Henry J. Dumbach, S.J. (1862-1909)
President, 1900-1908

  • Purchased 19.546 acres of land on the north side of Chicago in Rogers Park
  • Orchestra, Glee Club, and Academy Choir formed
  • First issue of the St. Ignatius Collegian, predecessor of Cadence, 1901
  • College band formed, 1908
  • Wyspianski Literary Society formed, 1908
  • Initiated series of post-graduate lectures on philosophy and sociology

Alexander J. Burrowes, S.J. (1853-1927)
President, 1908-1912

  • 12th President of St. Ignatius College
  • 1st President of Loyola University
  • St. Ignatius College rechartered as Loyola University, October 23, 1909
  • School of Law, 1908
  • Illinois Medical College affiliates with Loyola, 1909
  • Bennett Medical College affiliates with Loyola, 1910
  • Loyola Academy building (Dumbach Hall) is built on the north side property in Rogers Park, 1908
  • Michael Cudahy Science hall built on north side property, 1912

John L. Mathery, S.J. (1856-1941)
President, 1912-1915

  • School of Sociology, 1914
  • University College, 1914
  • Loyola University Press, 1912

John B. Furay, S.J. (1873-1952)
President, 1915-1921

  • Completed merger with Bennett Medical College to create the Loyola School of Medicine

William H. Agnew, S.J. (1881-1931)
President, 1921-1927

  • College of Arts and Sciences moves to North Shore Campus, 1922
  • Home Study department established, 1923
  • Schoolof Commerce (later School of Business Administration), 1922
  • Chicago College of Dental Surgery affiliates with Loyola, 1923
  • Alumni Gymnasium built
  • Administration Building (Jesuit Residence) built, 1922
  • St. Bernard Hospital Training School for Nurses affiliates with Loyola, 1925
  • First issue of The Loyolan, 1924
  • First Issue of The Loyola News, 1925

Robert M. Kelley, S.J. (1877-1953)
President, 1927-1933

  • Elizabeth M. Cudahy Memorial Library built
  • Loyola football stadium built
  • Council of Deans and Regents (later Dean's Council) established, 1927
  • Administrative Council established, 1930
  • Comprehensive exams established
  • "Lake Shore Campus" is first used to designate the north shore campus, 1927

Samuel K. Wilson, S.J. (1882-1959)
President, 1933-1942

  • Honors Course in the College of Arts and Sciences is established
  • Institute of Jesuit History is established
  • Madonna della Strada chapel is begun
  • Day School of Commerce at Lake Shore Campus is established
  • Medical clinic at Mercy hospital is established

Joseph M. Egan, S.J. (1898-1968)
President, 1942-1945

  • Army specialized training and Navy V-12 programs established at Loyola Medical and Dental schools
  • Loyola Institute of Aeronautics
  • Loyola University Medical Unit, 108th General Hospital, is reconstituted

James T. Hussey, S.J. (1904-1977)
President, 1945-1955

  • Enrollment at Loyola University doubles from 5,160 to 11, 625
  • Lewis Towers building is acquired; beginning of the Water Tower Campus
  • Alumni Association reconstituted

James F. Maguire, S.J. (1904-2000)
President, 1955-1970

  • Medical Center is established, 1968
  • Full-time undergraduate enrollment increased to 5,620 by 1970
  • Rome Center of Liberal Arts is established, 1962
  • Institute of Pastoral Studies is established, 1964
  • Martin D'Arcy Gallery of Medieval, Renaissance, and baroque Art is established, 1969
  • Loyola Academy moves to Willmette, Illinois
  • Marquette Center built at Water Tower Campus
  • Loyola Men's basketball team NCAA Champions, 1963
  • Sword of Loyola award established
  • Department of Education becomes the School of Education
  • Loyola University celebrates its Centennial, 1970





Loyola

Loyola University Archives
Loyola University Chicago · Cudahy Library Room 218 · 1032 West Sheridan Road · Chicago, IL 60660
Phone:773.508.2661 · Fax: 773.508.2993

Notice of Non-discriminatory Policy