Summer Program Benefits
Summer Program Benefits and Learning Outcomes
The Bridge to Loyola program has enumerable benefits. By the end of the program, students will have learned to do the following:
- Increase internal motivation.
- Authentically connect with community partners and Loyola University peers, faculty, campus partners, and academic advisors.
- Utilize academic strategies and resources available for support to successfully transition from high school to college and to persist in the environment of higher education.
- Practice self-examination as a foundation for leadership growth.
- Clarify personal leadership styles, and evaluate individual’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Develop sensitivity to issues related to leadership in a diverse society.
- Identify and explore self-advocacy skills to empower students to become agents of social change.
- Examine the relationship between Social Justice, the Loyola University mission, and Leadership.
To achieve these learning outcomes, students will experience a typical college schedule and work-load, and will be introduced to the college-level academic rigor, while supported by dedicated faculty and staff during the 3-credit hour summer program. Students will be taught to improve their time management, reading and note-taking strategies, and studying and test preparation skills by applying the techniques learned in the many academic success seminars. By living in a University residence hall and participating in the many peer-leader programs, students will learn to successfully navigate their way around campus and the city of Chicago, while connecting to with many Loyola resources, easing the often difficult transition from high school to college.
Academic advisors, peer leaders, and faculty will give students individualized attention including feedback about strengths and tips for improvement throughout the duration of the program. In line with the Jesuit values, students will have the opportunity to do a variety of service activities in the city, and will develop friendships with other students in the Bridge community. It is, without a doubt, an exciting opportunity!