Loyola encourages visitors, students, staff and faculty to bike to and from campus when possible as a safe and comfortable option. A variety of programs are available to support biking. With world-class trails like the Lakefront path and bike programs such as ChainLinks and Divvy, biking is a breeze at Loyola.
Biking at Lake Shore Campus
While we encourage biking to campus, the majority of campus sidewalks do not allow biking. Please disembark and walk your bike across campus. Exceptions to this are bike lanes clearly marked on Winthrop, Kenmore and Albion.
- Showers are available to Loyola staff and faculty on the Lake Shore Campus in BVM hall on floors 4 - 9.
- Students may use the showers at the Halas Recreation Center with their student ID.
- Staff and Faculty could consider purchasing a membership to the Fitness Center at the Terry Student Union or Halas Recreation Center if they anticipate using showers on a consistent basis.
Bike racks are available at all Loyola campuses. Where possible we try to provide sheltered bike parking.
Biking safely in the city is very important. We encourage all cyclists to obey all road laws and ride in a safe and considerate manner both on-road and on-trail. For bike safety tips visit: http://www.activetrans.org/resources/bike-work/get-ready-ride or if you have an accident follow these steps: http://www.activetrans.org/resources/crash-support/know-your-rights
Bike lanes and trails
On-road and off-road bike routes can be the difference between a frustrating and free-wheeling trip. You can find bike routes listed on most map applications such as Google or Yahoo Maps or plan ahead using these route maps: http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/cdot/provdrs/bike/svcs/bike_maps.html
LUC Bike Resources
- Chainlinks Bike Rental and Repair
- Campus Safety—Bike Registration
- Bike2Campus—Student Challenge
- DIVVY Bike Share Program
DIVVY Bikes discounted membership
DIVVY is Chicago’s bike share system. It’s fun, easy, and affordable. With 3,000 bikes, DIVVY provides Chicagoans with an additional transportation option for getting around the city. The system consists of a fleet of specially designed, heavy-duty, durable bikes that are locked into a network of docking stations located throughout the city. DIVVY bikes can be rented from and returned to any station in the system, creating an efficient network with many possible combinations of start and end points.
Loyola University Chicago is offering $20 discount for all current students.
- Students are eligible for a $75 Annual Membership (regularly $99)
- Faculty and Staff are eligible for a $89 Annual Membership (regularly $99)
Getting the Discount
- Students: Students should visit divvybikes.com/signup/loyola to register for a Divvy account. You must use your Loyola e-mail ( @luc.edu) and LUCycles for the Partner Password to complete the registration and receive the discount.
- Faculty and Staff: Loyola employees are eligible for a DIVVY discount. Please contact human resources via phone at 312.915.6175 or e-mail at email@example.com to obtain your DIVVY discount.
With 300 stations across Chicago, Divvy has numerous stations located near Loyola's Lake Shore Campus and Water Tower Campus. Visit www.DivvyBikes.com/stations to find stations near you.
For questions about the Student Membership signup process or discount, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. For general questions about the bikes, stations, or system, please e-mail email@example.com.