- NO CELL PHONES – Leave the cell phone at home or turn it off – forget the vibe setting, it can be heard in a quiet room
- No electronics with sound – Handhelds that beep or ring, watches that beep on the hour, etc.
- No laptops, unless it is necessary for the interview – if you have to carry it, keep it in a briefcase
- Small purse or none at all; place all necessary items in a briefcase
- Carry a professional briefcase – Chose a dark color such as black, brown or navy, avoid backpacks, bags with wild colors
- DON’T smoke before or during the interview (don’t have cigarettes in view)
- Be on time (not too early, e.g. more than 15 minutes)
- Bring a pen, paper, and extra resumes; it’s worth investing in a professional quality pen and nice leather (leather-like) portfolio folder.
- Don’t make excuses or criticize
- Don’t set items on the interviewer’s desk
- Wait to be seated
- When asked into the interviewer’s office, walk in like you belong; don’t hesitate, peek in, or act sheepishly.