The Loyola Career Development Center recommends online credential services through Interfolio, Inc., a web-based credential file management system. Interfolio is an economical and convenient way for Ph.D. candidates to send academic credentials to a search committee, undergraduates to send application materials to graduate and professional schools, or teaching candidates to apply for a teaching positions in higher education.
- Access Interfolio
- Basics of credential files
- Old Ph.D. paper credential Files
- Create an Interfolio Online Credential File
- Features and benefits of the Interfolio System
- Interfolio Frequently Asked Questions
- Letters of Recommendation - Students and Alumni
- Letters of Recommendation- Faculty and other recommendation writers
- Questions and more information
- Transcript Request from Loyola Registration & Records
Basics of Credential Files
What is a credential file?
A credential file, also called a dossier or placement file, is a professional file that stores information for your application for employment or graduate school admission. It contains non-specifically address letters of recommendation along with other documents such as your curriculum vitae or resume, writing samples, dissertation abstract, student teaching evaluations, transcripts, philosophy of teaching, proposed research, certifications, and other evidence of skills, abilities or qualifications.
Why create a credential file?
Credential files provide a professional, convenient, dependable system to aid in the job application process. It is a way to organize and send your information to potential employers. It also eliminates the time-consuming process of continuously compiling the necessary documents for various applications. Finally, it allows your information to reach the employer in one complete package.
Who should create a credential file?
- a PhD or PhD candidate to send academic credentials to a search committee
- a premed student applying to medical schools
- an undergraduate to send application materials to certain graduate and professional schools
- a teacher to apply to a teaching position in higher education
Create an Interfolio Credential File
- Go to www.interfolio.com and click on the Dossier tab. Click on the SIGN UP button. Follow the prompts.
- NOTE: You will need a valid credit card to complete the account creation
Features and Benefits of Interfolio System
- 24/7 availability & control. Files maintained electronically are available anytime, anywhere from a standard web browser. You control everything: adding documents, deleting documents, or delivering documents to an institution.
- Speedy service. We process all delivery requests within 1 business day-guaranteed. Priority requests made before 2:00 PM EST will be sent the same business day or sent online at your request.
- Confidentiality. You can store confidential documents in your file (very helpful for recommendation letters). For each document, choose whether or not you would like to view it, and Interfolio will either mark it confidential or allow you to see it.
- One-stop shop. If you have attended more than one institution of higher education, an account with Interfolio eliminates the need to have a separate credential files at several different institutions. Interfolio is a source to store any and all academic credentials. With one trip to Interfolio, you can view or send a full academic record.
- Increased reliability. Technology helps eliminate the human error involved in the paper-based handling of credentials. Your file can never be misplaced again!
- Electronic input of files. When you or a writer uploads a document, it is available immediately for use.
- Instantaneous electronic delivery. If your institution or employer accepts documents electronically, Interfolio can deliver your documents in a secure electronic format. In this case, the delivery takes place instantaneously at the time you make your request.
- Familiar payment options – Online credit card payments are accepted, as are checks and money orders.
- Visit the Interfolio website for a list of account fee options.
Questions and More information
- Career Development Center: Maureen Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or 773-508-2878
- Interfolio Online helpdesk: visit Interfolio website and click the link on the support button located on the upper right hand corner of the screen.
- Interfolio also offers one business day turnaround on voicemail and all email questions to help@Interfolio.com.
- Chronicle of Higher Education Articles: