Resources Related to Communication
In addition to its many services and resources, the Career Development Center has identified a number of external websites that may be of help to you in your career planning or job search. The links below are just a sampling of what is available on the Internet.
- Big Shoes Network - Job posting website and resource for entry- to senior-level professionals that work within the fields of advertising, communications, graphic design, interactive, marketing, public relations, social media, and web design & development in Illinois and Wisconsin. In addition to jobs and internships, this site includes an excellent Organization/Vendor resource directory, news & events, as well as links to professional associations that are located in Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin, Executive Recruiters, Job Boards & Staffing Firm.
- BookJobs.com - A one-stop shop that posts entry-level jobs and year-round internships from over 35 book publishers, provides background information on the different types of publishers and the departments within them, and can even help match majors with particular jobs for those who are unsure of what area they should pursue.
- Creativehotlist Search for jobs, people, and companies/organization
- IABC (International Association of Business Communication - definitive career resources for the communication profession, serving job seekers in all industries and communication functions. Includes career tools and resources and memberhsip tools, in addition an to jobs.
- Illinois News Broadcasters Associations Job file - The current listing of job openings, JobFile is a joint venture of INBA and The Chicago Headline Club Society of Professional Journalists. In addition to jobs and internships, the site has events, a forum and links/blogs.
- JournlismJobs.com - Job listings include free lance jobs, internships, fellowships and awards/contests; site also offers carer articles, salary info, media digest, media links, and events
- PRSA (Public Relations Society of America - jobs targeted to public relations and communications; site also includes salary information.
- Talentzoo - advertising, marketing and media jobs and articles
- Writers's Market - This is an annually updated "bible of freelancing." It offers how-to articles and, its main strength, hundreds and hundreds of publications that work with freelance writers. Note: there is a subscription fee after a free trial period.
In addition to the links listed above, you are encouraged to visit the Riley Guide Job Listings links related to Communication jobs at www.rileyguide.com/write.html for a frequently-updated, categorized annotated list of sites, including General Resources, Broadcasting, Journalism, Cartooning, Publishing & Bookselling, Science Writing, Screenwriting, and Technical Writing and Communication.
Books & Magazines
- Writers's Market - This is an annually updated "bible of freelancing." It offers how-to articles and, its main strength, hundreds and hundreds of publications that work with freelance writers. There is a low monthly or annual fee for this website.
- Writers Digest - How-to tips as well as freelance writing opportunities.
- The Writer - How-to tips as well as freelance writing opportunities.