Fee-Based International volunteer & Internship Resources
For those who can afford them, there are a number of wonderful international fee-based volunteer opportunities and internships that offer an excellent experience working abroad. Many of them are for nonprofit organizations that cannot afford to pay a salary, stipend or expenses. Some of them may offer scholarships or fundraising suggestions to make them affordable. The following are representative of some of the opportunities available to you.
If you wish to seek academic credit for an internship (fee-based or other), please contact Louise Deske, Academic Internship Advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Organizations that Offer Both Fee-Based Volunteer Opportunities and Internships
- AIESEC - AIESEC provides its members with an integrated development experience (The AIESEC Experience) comprised of leadership opportunities, international internships and participation in a global learning environment.
- Connect-123 - Connect-123 assists university students find challenging, career-related internship and service learning projects in a wide range of fields, including human rights, journalism, education, business consulting, entrepreneurship, health care and sustainable development in Cape Town, Buenos Aires, Shanghai, Dublin and Barcelona. .
- Cross-Cultural Solutions - Cross-Cultural Solutions was founded in 1995 and is a recognized leader in the field of international volunteering. Each year, over 4,000 people volunteer abroad with CCS in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and Eastern Europe in the areas of caregiving, teaching, healthcare, and community development.
- Cultural Embrace - Cultural Embrace offers a wide range of unique experiential and educational programs for individuals and groups of all ages. If you plan to teach, volunteer, learn a cultural activity, or take a tour, they have a program for you.
- Experiential Learning International - ELI is a registered non-profit organization, founded in 2001, that partners with organizations from around the world that make a difference in their communities. We work closely with these groups to ensure ELI volunteers get meaningful experiences at reasonable prices.
- Foundation for Sustainable Development - FSD partners with more than 300 community-based organizations throughout Asia, Africa, and Latin America to support sustainable change. Our development model relies on active community participation to mobilize lasting solutions. While respecting local value systems, we partner with local leaders to build networks and collaborate on community-driven approaches to development issues.
- Global Crossroads - Global Crossroad’s internship abroad program offers 2-12 weeks of customized internship opportunities for students, researchers, and explorers in Argentina, China, Costa Rica, Ghana, India, Kenya, Nepal, Peru, Tanzania, Thailand, Uganda with projects in more countries becoming available soon. Most past participants have joined internships in health care, journalism, women’s issues, culture, sustainable development, and business.
- Global Vision International - Global Vision International (GVI) runs responsible volunteering programs and internships in over 40 countries around the world. We offer volunteers the chance for a hands-on experience by personally contributing to important conservation initiatives and community projects. Volunteer programs run from one week to 2 years.
- Go Overseas - Social network site for anyone interested in Studying, Volunteering, Teaching or Interning Abroad. Includes listings, articles, travel resources, scholarship information, and reviews.
- Greenheart Travel - Greenheart Travel, a division of Center for Cultural Interchange, offers fee-based opportunities for volunteering and working abroad. Greenheart Travel gives you the chance to share your passion for helping people and the planet, while exploring new countries and cultures.
- International Internship & Volunteer Network - The International Internship & Volunteer Network (IIVN) is dedicated to helping undergrad and graduate students easily identify, prepare for and secure an international volunteer, internship or pre med opportunity.
Fee-Based Internship Opportunities
- Absolute Internship - Absolute Internship helps college students all around the world to gain international work experience abroad by providing customized professional internships. Internships are offered in Barcelona, Beijing, Hong Kong, London, Shanghai and Paris. Program includes transportation, weekend activities and cultural excursions and 24 hour on-site support.
- Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) - A website detailing teaching opportunities in Thailand, Chile, China and Spain. CIEE offers a lot of support and training through its fee-based programs. Its programs include single semester as well as post-graduate programs, with program fees based on the type of program and pre-departure TEFL certification. CIEE offers airfare reimbursement for participants who teach 2 consecutive semesters.
- CCCE-Euroservice - CCCE provides "Internship Seminars" to students from different European countries and the United States. After completion of an Internship, the participant will have practical work experience in the field of their interest, an immersion into the German language through active study, and a deeper understanding of German culture through daily life.
- CDS - CDS International is a nonprofit organization that supports intercultural understanding through professional development programs in Argentina, Germany, Russia, Spain, and the United States. Our programs include international internships, professional fellowships, State Department public diplomacy initiatives, J-1 visa services, work-study programs, and study tours. We have over 40 years of experience working with participants from more than 80 countries.
- CRCC Asia, Ltd. - offers a wide range of high quality internship placements across various sectors including law, finance, marketing, advertising, public relations, pharmaceuticals, engineering, tourism and logistics. The CRCC Asia Internship program provides a full service to participating students- organising their visas, accommodation and position in a company in Beijing as well as providing a valuable support network through our UK, USA and China offices.
- German American Chamber of Commerce of the Midwest's Translatntic Program- Young Technology Leaders (TAP-YTL) Program - The fellowship program brings 12 young leaders with technical backgrounds for an intensive 8-day visit to Germany focused on a specific theme, such as "Sustainable Architecture & Urban Planning," "Logistics & Transportation," and "Water Management." The goal is to bring future decision makers from the US and Germany together at the beginning of their professional careers or late in their studies, to build networks and promote know-how transfer. Program fees are $550 + airfare. The program covers all overnight stays, meals, cultural programming and local transportion while in Germany.
- Global Internship Services - We have been exclusive providers of custom-designed internships for AustraLearn: Centre of Australian Studies in the USA for over 14 years. AustraLearn is a very highly regarded organisation founded by a consortium of Australian Universities. Through our association with the Nature Refuge Landholder's Association, we have unparalleled access to a variety of internship placements in the fields of Ecology and Biodiversity Management.
- InterExchange - InterExchange is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting cross-cultural awareness through work and volunteer exchange programs. For more than 40 years, InterExchange has been connecting young people from all over the world with life-changing international cultural exchange opportunities with businesses, organizations, summer camps, and families in need of staff, interns, volunteers, camp counselors and au pairs.
- InternAbroad - Part of the GoAbroad Network. GoAbroad.com is the leading international education and experiential travel resource. Our directories contain over 19,000 opportunities abroad updated daily including study abroad, internships, volunteer opportunities, teach abroad, language schools and much more.
- Linguastage.com -Agency that helps foreign students to find a suitable internship in Spain. We can offer a total package to students, including accommodation and a Spanish language course on location.
- NextStep Connections - Professional level interships in Shanghai & Bejeing
Fee-Based Volunteers Opportunities
- Abroad China - Abroad China is committed to providing individuals unique opportunities to better understand China. 2 types of volunteer opportunites: Panda Conservation and Great Wall Conservation.
- Amigos - Volunteer experiences in Latin America. Live with a host family and complete sustainable health, construction and environmental projects.
- BUNAC - BUNAC is a not-for-profit organisation that specialises in sending young people on work abroad holidays and volunteer projects. BUNAC’s programmes provide you with all the support you need whilst you travel the world, gain invaluable work experience and make friends for life!
- Earthwatch Institute - Engages people worldwide in scientific field research and eduction to promote the understanding and action necessary for a sustainable environment. Fee is based on selected expedition. Grants and fellowships are available.
- Global Volunteer Network - Our vision is to connect people with communities in need by supporting the work of local community organisations in countries through the placement of international volunteers. These communities are poverty-stricken, and many people do not have the money to feed their families properly, afford health care, or send their children to school. The communities themselves are in need of infrastructure and support. Therefore these families and our partners are unable to pay foreign volunteers to come and assist, or able to provide financial support volunteers whilst they help.
- The Light and Leadership Iniative - The Light and Leadership Initiative's mission is to respond to the needs of the women and children in Huaycan, of the Ate-Vitarte District in Lima, Peru. We are working to improve the quality and accessibility of education for women and children who live in extreme poverty. Charges very moderate fees in return in return for room, board, and other expenses.
- NGO Abroad - NGOabroad is a unique service that helps you enter or advance in international humanitarian work & provides frugal, customized international volunteer opportunities.
- Traveller's Worldwide - Travellers has grown into one of the major providers of voluntary placements and sends volunteers FROM all over the world, TO all over the world! Travellers is committed to upholding strict ethical standards that ensure a positive and lasting impact upon the environments, communities, institutions, volunteers, animals, children and people that we work with. Our projects enable vital conservation, research, care and education work to take place directly where it is most needed. The local economy benefits in many ways, from the local staff employed by the projects, to volunteer spending in the community, to the increased tourism resulting from word of mouth from our volunteers. As a volunteer, you make a difference on many levels. Your first-hand experience of key global or cultural issues offers an invaluable education, which will spread through you and back to Western society. Your hands-on help on the project can change lives (yours included).
- United Planet - United Planet Volunteer Abroad Quests provide a unique opportunity for people of all ages and backgrounds to learn about and immerse themselves in a foreign culture, while making a difference working for important causes.
- Universal Giving - UniversalGiving™ features vetted, quality volunteer opportunities in more than 70 countries across the world. You can help preserve part of the Amazon forest, build a home, care for children in an orphanage and much more. UniversalGiving™ is an awardwinning nonprofit that helps people give and volunteer with quality projects across the globe.
- VolunteerAbroad - Part of the GoAbroad Network. GoAbroad.com is the leading international education and experiential travel resource. Our directories contain over 19,000 opportunities abroad updated daily including study abroad, internships, volunteer opportunities, teach abroad, language schools and much more.
- Volunteers for Peace - Nonprofit membership organization that offers placement in over 3000 volunteer projects in more than 100 countries. VFP is particularly recognized as having affordable short-term volunteer opportunities that can give you exposure to living and working abroad to see if it is something you wish to explore further.
- WorldTeach - WorldTeach is a non-profit, non-governmental organization founded by a group of Harvard students in 1986 in response to the need for educational assistance in developing countries. In each of our programs, volunteers are placed in schools and host communities in developing countries that specifically request WorldTeach volunteers and would otherwise be unable to afford or locate qualified teachers. Volunteers receive training, language preparation, and field support, empowering them to make an impact that will last long after they leave.