Originally Ratified: November 29, 2000
Last Update September 08
ARTICLE 1: NAME
The name of the organization is Comparative and International Education Graduate Student Association, henceforth referred to as the Association or CIEGSA.
ARTICLE 2: PURPOSE
The purpose of CIEGSA is to represent students and alumni of the Comparative and International Education program at Loyola University Chicago, inform and encourage members’ participation in the activities and events that pertain the association, inform members of career opportunities in the Chicago area and worldwide, and promote alumni mentorship of active student-members.
ARTICLE 3: MEMBERSHIP AND DUES
Membership in the CIEGSA is open to students and alumni of the Comparative and International Education program at Loyola University Chicago and extends to all Loyola University Chicago graduate students and alumni interested in Comparative and International Education.
All members are required to pay a $10.00 fee by the last week of September and mid-year entering students must pay by the last week of February. If the fee is not paid by these dates, members will be charged a late fee of $5.00.
In addition, members are expected to subscribe to professional and institutional norms, as established by the Comparative and International Education Society and by the World Council of Comparative Education Societies.
ARTICLE 4: OFFICERS, DUTIES AND POWERS, AND ELECTION
SECTION 1: OFFICERS
The Executive Committee of the association consists of a President, a Primary Vice-President, a Secondary Vice President, a Secretary, a Treasurer, a Webmaster/Webmistress, Publicity Officer, First Year Representative, Newsletter Associate Editor, and an Alumnus Representative.
SECTION 2: DUTIES AND POWERS
1. The President shall preside at all CIEGSA meetings; call special meetings, appoint committees, and submit a report of the student life meetings to the secretary for filing and to the Webmaster/Webmistress and Newsletter Associate Editor for publication in the website.
2. The Vice-President shall perform all duties of the President in his/her absence and submit a report of the student life meetings to the secretary for filing and to the webmaster/Webmistress for publication in the website.
3. The Secondary Vice-President shall initiate and plan with the Primary Vice-President events such as the annual reception at the National CIES Meeting, the End-of-Semester and End-of-Year Gatherings, and one social event to be held during the fall and spring semesters.
3. The Secretary shall keep an accurate and permanent record of the association (e.g., file a hard copy of every document sent to student life, minutes of meetings, etc.), be in charge of all correspondence, notify the Phoenix, post information regarding meetings, and compile necessary reports.
4. The Treasurer shall attend Student Activity Fund workshops, submit budget requests to the Department of Student Activities in accordance with the association’s mission and goals, keep an accurate and complete record of all monetary transactions, and collect money whenever necessary. The Treasurer must disburse funds in accordance with regulations of the University.
5. The Webmaster/Webmistress shall maintain, update, and upgrade the CIEGSA website, keep members informed of any changes made in the website, and promote the website.
6. Newsletter Associate Editor for student affairs shall maintain and promote the research and/or work experiences of the members within the association, promote the Association itself, and promote the Center for Comparative Education, of which CIEGSA is a constituent part, at Loyola University Chicago.
7. The Alumni Representative is an appointed (by the Executive Committee) representative who shall liaise with the Association and the alumni of the Center for Comparative Education by providing the Association with information regarding their activities and projects.
8. First Year Representative shall serve new cohort of students and assist with academic adjustment and other concerns of new in-coming students.
SECTION 3: ELECTION OF OFFICERS
1. The officers will be elected each spring semester to allow time to prepare and organize for upcoming events and propose revisions of the constitution as needed.
2. The officers must be members of the CIEGSA.
3. The candidates shall be selected by nominations from the floor or via e-mail.
4. The position of Vice-President will be progressive to the position of president and ratified by a vote of confidence at or by the first meeting of the coming academic year.
5. Voting shall be done by oral vote or e-mail.
6. A majority of 51% of the association’s votes shall be necessary for election.
7. All ballots will be destroyed two months after elections.
8. Following each election or change of any officer or advisor, the Department of Student Activities in the Student Life area will be notified in writing.
ARTICLE 5: MEETINGS
The CIEGSA shall meet approximately six times a year as decided by the Executive Committee.
ARTICLE 6: QUORUM
Three-fourths of the officers and all those members present at the meeting shall constitute a quorum to transact business.
ARTICLE 7: AMENDMENTS
SECTION 1: Proposed amendments shall be submitted in writing and read at regular meetings and shall be acted upon at the following meeting.
SECTION 2: This constitution may be amended by 2/3 of those members at the meeting.
ARTICLE 8: RATIFICATION
A 2/3 majority of those present at the first Academic Year meeting of the Association will be necessary to ratify this constitution.
ARTICLE 9: ANTI-HAZING STATEMENT
The CIEGSA considers hazing to be a most destructive and degrading activity, which is inconsistent with the standards of this student association. The CIEGSA recognizes the dignity of every individual and opposes all forms of hazing.
ARTICLE 10: NONDISCRIMINATION STATEMENT
The CIEGSA admits students without regard to their race, religion, color, gender, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, to all the rights, programs, and other activities, generally accorded or made available to members of the organization.