Eligibility to Participate
Degree conferral is separate from participating in the Commencement ceremony. Degrees are conferred three times a year—December, May and August. More information about degree conferral can be found here.
Because there is only one Commencement ceremony per year, students are eligible to participate in the May 2014 Commencement ceremony if any of the following apply:
- They had an August 2013 degree conferral and did NOT participate in May 2013 ceremony
- They had a December 2013 degree conferral
- They have applied for a May 2014 degree conferral (application due December 1, 2013) and:
- Completed all PhD degree requirements by April 1, 2014; or
- Completed all master's degree requirements by Tuesday May 6, 2014, at 5 p.m. Students with a MA or MS thesis must also have final copies turned in by April 1, 2014.
- They have applied for an August 2014 degree conferral (application due February 1, 2014) and:
- Successfully defended a dissertation by April 30, 2014 at noon; or
- Are in the Clinical Psychology PhD, Counseling Psychology PhD, or School Psychology PhD program, are completing their internship during Summer 2014 and have defended their dissertations by noon, May 1; or
- Have one remaining requirement for a master's degree (e.g., one course, comprehensive examinations, a project, or a thesis) and plan to complete this requirement during Summer 2014. If writing a thesis, student must have an approved proposal on file no later than April 1, 2014. Students not writing a thesis must have their August conferral plan confirmed by their Graduate Program Director by April 30, 2014