Student Intern Position
Summer 2014 Ramblin’ Around Project Manager and Advertising Consultant
Type of job: Paid Internship
Hours: 10-15 per week
Pay: $1,750 stipend
About the position:
The Ramblin’ Around Guide is a business directory produced by the Department of Community Relations to connect first-year and transfer students with and increase purchasing and foot traffic in the larger business community surrounding Loyola’s Lake Shore and Water Tower Campuses. The guide is exclusively funded by the advertising sales generated within the guide. Intern works collaboratively with several partners including Business Engagement Intern, University Marketing Communications, Office of Sustainability, Edgewater Chamber of Commerce and Rogers Park Business Alliance on content, layout and design features and map designed to educate students while encouraging public, bicycle and pedestrian transportation options. Development and distribution of the guide has a 12-week schedule from late May through August 2013.
Promoting our New Ramblin’ Around Blog
In addition to the printed guide, we will launching the Ramblin Around Blog, which will be linked directly from the Rambler Buzz web app. The new blog will provide updated information regarding students discounts/specials, events, etc. happening the local communities of Rogers Park and Edgewater. The new blog presents an opportunity for local businesses to purchase ad-space and offer special student-oriented promotions. In effect, the blog is designed to support the local business community and encourage LUC students and staff to practice sustainable shopping and dining patterns.
- Develop web-management, web-design skill-set
- Develop digital editing skills (digital files for both print guide and blog)
- Develop understanding of social media & advertisement interface
- Develop ability to conduct community outreach
- Gain awareness of economic development initiatives
- Gain project-management skills; ability to manage print and web publications
- Become a Blog Expert!
*Student will work closely with Community Relations Specialist to ensure learning goals are met.
What we’re looking for:
The ideal candidate will be an extremely effective communicator and display enthusiasm and confidence in-person, on the phone and via email while initiating dialog with new people of varying ages and backgrounds; possess ability to multi-task and prioritize with keen attention to detail; be a team player; be highly self-directed; possess ability to negotiate and problem-solve effectively.
- Working primarily under the direction of the Community Relations Specialist, our intern will have primary responsibility for creation and distribution of Ramblin’ Around Guide to 3,500 incoming freshman and transfer student initiation and outreach.
- Solicit advertising from local business to fund the cost of publication
- Coordinate, organize, and integrate data from multiple sources
- Manage on-time production schedule and distribution channels
- Update New Ramblin’ Around Blog with events, digital advertisements, and photos
- Create calendar for digital advertisements
Sales, Web Development/Design, Advertising, BUS - Marketing, Digital/Social Media, Economic/Community Development, Administrative/Support Services
•Strong ability to edit for web or print
•Basic knowledge and proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
• Basic knowledge MS Publisher
•Basic knowledge with print, layout, and design
•Ability to understand Loyola’s web publishing software
• Exceptional time-management skills
•Exceptional customer service skills
•Ability to develop relationships with local business owners