POLITICAL CYNICISM AND CITIZENSHIP
1) Address contemporary cynicism about public life
2) Understand the importance of role models in shaping public
3) Encourage a healthy skepticism about politics but challenge
4) Develop an appreciation for the complexity of public life
1) Web access for online projects and research
2) Surveys and handouts
1) Group Activity 1: Student Survey: "Politics and My Future"
2) Group Activity 2: Politicians and Public Officers in Disgrace
SUMMARY of the LESSON
This lesson begins with a class conversation about
student impressions of politics and politicians. Many question the relevance
of politics to their lives and hold negative attitudes about politicians.
Where does all this cynicism come from and is it healthy? What do we
expect of politics and our leaders? What expectations do we have of
different kinds of people, parents, teachers, public officials? All
of these topics raise questions about role models and where students
see themselves in public life. The goal of this discussion is to challenge
student cynicism and encourage students to see the relevance of politics
in their daily life.