WHAT IS PUBLIC POLICY?
Or Getting From A to B
1) Understand the concept of public policy
2) Understand how policy decisions impact everyday life
3) Understand the importance of compromise in formulating public
4) Understand the difference between public and private domains
1) Web access for online projects and research
2) Surveys and handouts
1) Group Activity 1: How Do We Get from A to B?
2) Group Activity 2: Somebody Else's Shoes
SUMMARY of the LESSON
This lesson introduces the concept of public policy.
It covers the complexities of policy making, as well as its multiple
components. This unit includes a thought experiment that relates directly
to the students: transportation. Every kind of transportation option
involves public choices and decisions. How students get from one place
to another -physically or politically- represents the process of Getting
from A to B. Transportation policy provides a good example of the compromises
involved in public life. It shows them that policy questions affect
them and invite them to get involved in the discussion of public matters.