Democracy in Action
1) Understand the characteristics of democracy
2) Understand the historic barriers to full participation in American
3) Understand the importance of the suffragette and civil rights
movements in expanding voting participation
4) Explore the reasons for low voter turnout and importance of voter
1) Web access for online projects and research
2) Surveys and handouts
1) Group Activity 1: Online Voter Registration at BeAVoter.org
SUMMARY of the LESSON
This lesson introduces the characteristics of democracy
and distinguishes the difference between direct and representative democracy.
It provides a brief discussion of historic barriers to full participation,
citing restrictions against Japanese-Americans during World War II.
It notes the successful efforts to overcome barriers to voting for women
and African-Americans. Finally, voter participation is discussed, concluding
with an exercise that accesses online voter registration.