Becoming an Active Political Player:
The Power of Connections
1) Define who is a political player
2) Understand the importance of political access
3) Prepare students to become political players
4) Provide process for youth to contact public officials and other
1) Web access for online projects and research
2) Surveys and handouts
1) Group Activity 1: Survey "Whom Do You Know?"
2) Group Activity 2: What Do I Do? Where Do I Go?
3) Group Activity 3: Moving From Information Gathering to Action
SUMMARY of the LESSON
Building upon the previous discussions, this unit
is designed to give youth a framework for political action. The unit
may be used to prompt a long-term discussion of important issues to
youth that will lead to a specific public policy action. Through an
exercise, it gauges youth awareness of local political figures and introduces
realistic, practical guidelines for accessing and contacting public
officials. The unit teaches youth to be political players, thus developing
skills that build future leaders in a democracy.