Faculty and Staff Directory
Title/s: Assistant Professor
Specialty Area: Science Education, Teacher Education, Place-Based Education
Office #: Lewis Towers 1056, WTC
CV Link: Birmingham-CV
Ph.D. Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
- Teaching, Leading and Learning with Schools and Communities
- Equity, Diversity & Social Justice in Science Education
- Place-Based Education
- Youth Participatory Action Research
- Informal Science Education
- Teacher Learning from Youth Voice
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Education Research Association (AERA)
- National Associate for Research in Science Teaching
- National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- CIEP M64 Secondary Science Methods
- TLSC 210 Education Policy for Diverse Students
- TLSC 231/421 Teaching Science in Elementary Classrooms
- TLSC 432 Teaching Social Studies in Elementary Classrooms
- 2014 NARST Outstanding Doctoral Research Award
- Gotwals, A. & Birmingham, D. (In Press). Eliciting, identifying, interpreting and responding to students’ ideas: Teacher candidates’ growth in responsive teaching practices. Research in Science Education.
- Birmingham, D. & Calabrese Barton, A. (2014). Putting on a green carnival: Youth taking educated action on socioscientific issues. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 51(3), 286-314.
- Calabrese Barton, A. Birmingham, D. Sato, T., Tan, E. & Calabrese Barton, S. (2013). Youth as community science experts in green energy technologies. Afterschool Matters, 18, 25-32.
- Birmingham, D., Pineda, B & Greenwalt, K. (2013). Undoing the divide: Teachers and teacher educators as multicitizens. Teacher Education Quarterly, 40 (1), 45-62.