Faculty and Staff Directory
Davin, Kristin J.
Title/s: Assistant Professor
Specialty Area: Foreign Language Education, Second Language Education
Office #: Lewis Towers 1120, WTC
CV Link: Davin-CV
Kristin Davin is Assistant Professor of Foreign and Second Language Education at Loyola University Chicago. Her research focuses on second language proficiency assessment, dynamic assessment, and foreign language teacher preparation. She has won two Research Priorities grants (2013 and 2014) from the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages. Her research has recently appeared in Canadian Modern Language Review, Foreign Language Annals, Language and Sociocultural Theory, and Language Teaching Research.
Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- Teaching and Learning
- Second Language Assessment
- Integrated Performance Assessment
- Dynamic Assessment
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Association of Applied Linguistics (AAAL)
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- National Network for Early Language Learning (NNELL)
- Teachers of English to Speakers of other Languages (TESOL)
- CIEP 376 Assessing English Language Learners
- TLSC 210 Educational Policy for Diverse Students
- TLSC 220 Individualized Assessment and Instruction for Diverse Students
- TLSC 340 Teaching and Learning in an Area of Specialization, Foreign Language
- TLSC 350 Teaching and Learning with a Global Framework, Foreign Language
- Davin, K.J., Rempert, T.A., Hammerand, A.A., & Redmond, M.L. (2014). Converting data to knowledge: One district’s experience using large-scale proficiency assessment. Foreign Language Annals, 47(2), 241-260.
- Davin, K.J., Troyan, F.J., & Hellmann, A. (2014). Classroom dynamic assessment of reading comprehension with second language learners. Language and Sociocultural Theory, 1(1), 1-23.
- Heineke, A.J., & Davin, K.J. (2014). Situating practice in schools and communities: Case studies of teacher candidates in diverse clinical experiences with English language learners. NABE Journal of Research and Practice, 5. Retrieved from https://www2.nau.edu/nabej-p/ojs/index.php/njrp/about
- Davin, K.J., Ensminger, D.C., & De la Pena, C. (2013, October). Taking a project-based approach to integrating tech and languages in middle school. The Language Educator, 48-51.
- Troyan, F., Davin, K.J., & Donato, R. (2013). Integration of the practice-based approach into teacher preparation programs: A work in progress. Canadian Modern Language Review, 69(2), 154-180.
- Davin, K.J., & Donato, R. (2013). Student collaboration and teacher‐directed classroom dynamic assessment: A complementary pairing. Foreign Language Annals, 46(1), 5-22.
- Davin, K.J. (2013). Integration of dynamic assessment and instructional conversations to promote development and improve assessment in the language classroom. Language Teaching Research. 17(3), 303-322.
- Davin, K.J., Troyan, F., Donato, R., & Hellmann, A. (2011). Research on the implementation of the IPA in an elementary Spanish program. Foreign Language Annals, 44(4), 605-625.