Faculty and Staff Directory
Title/s: Associate Professor;
Specialty Area: Sociology of Education, Education Policy, Urban Education, Organizational Sociology, Teacher Education, School Social Work
Office #: Lewis Towers 1038, WTC
CV Link: Phillippo-CV
Ph.D., Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA
- Cultural and Educational Policy Studies
- Research Methodology
- Organizational, professional, socio-cultural, political and demographic influences on policy and practice enactment
- Student, teacher and parent understanding and experiences of education policy
- Selective public schools
- Student-teacher relationships
- Teacher role definition
- Student support practice and policy in K-12 school settings
- School-based mental health and its fit with public K-12 schools, school social work organization
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Sociology of Education Association (SEA)
- American Educational Studies Association (AERA)
- Mental Health-Education Integration Consortium (MHEDIC)
- Society for Social Work and Research
- ELPS 240 Urban Education: Policy and Practice
- ELPS 410 Sociology of Education
- ELPS 412 Sociological Analysis of Urban Education and Policy
- ELPS 510 Seminar in the Sociology of Education (Sociology of
Teaching, The School as an Organization)
- RMTD 420 Educational Research I: Building a Body of Evidence
with Qualitative Methods
- Finalist, Spencer Foundation Exemplary Dissertation Award
- Spencer Foundation Dissertation Fellow (2009)
- Phillippo, K. & Kelly, M. (2014). On the fault line: A qualitative exploration of high school teachers’ involvement with student mental health issues. School Mental Health, 6(3), 184-200.
- Phillippo, K. (2013). Advisory in urban high schools: A study of expanded teacher roles. New York, NY: Palgrave Macmillan, Series on Urban Education (A. Sadovnik & S. Semel, Eds.).
- Phillippo, K. & Stone, S. (2013). Teacher role breadth and its relationship to student-reported teacher support. High School Journal, 96(4), 358-379.
- Phillippo, K. & Blosser, A. (2013). Specialty practice or interstitial practice? A reconsideration of school social work’s past and present. Children & Schools, 35(1), 19-31.
- Phillippo, K. (2012). “You’re trying to know me”: Students from nondominant groups respond to teacher personalism. The Urban Review, 44(4), 441-467.
- Phillippo, K. and Stone, S. (2011). Towards a broader view: A call to integrate knowledge about schools into school social work research. Children & Schools, 33(2) 71-81.
- Phillippo, K. (2010). Teacher-advisors providing social and emotional support: A study of complex role enactment in small high schools. Teachers College Record, 112(8), 2258-2293.