Faculty and Staff Directory
Ryan, Ann Marie
Title/s: Associate Dean of Academic Programs;
Specialty Area: History of Education; Curriculum Studies; Curriculum & Instruction; Secondary Education; Social Studies Education
Office #: Lewis Towers 1108, WTC
CV Link: Ryan-CV
- Ph.D., University of Illinois Chicago, Chicago, IL
- Teaching, Learning and Leading with Schools and Communities
- Curriculum and Instruction
- The history of Catholic education in the United States from the early to mid twentieth century
- Teaching and learning in history and the social sciences
- Urban field-based teacher preparation
- School, community and university partnerships
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education
- American Educational Research Association
- Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development
- History of Education Society
- National Council for the Social Studies
- CIEP 440 Curriculum and Instruction
- CIEP 520 Doctoral Seminar in Curriculum and Instruction
- CIEP 521 Curriculum Theory
- TLSC 300 Professional Learning Communities
- Distinguished Faculty Award for Teaching Excellence, School of Education, Loyola University Chicago (2012)
- Catholic Press Award, Catholic Press Association of the United States and Canada, Third Place for Best Essay in a Scholarly Journal (2010)
- Ryan, Ann Marie, David Ensminger, Amy J. Heineke, Adam S. Kennedy, David P. Prasse, and Lara K. Smetana. “Teaching, Learning, and Leading with Schools and Communities: One Urban University Re-Envisions Teacher Preparation for the Next Generation.” Issues in Teacher Education (In Press).
- Garth-McCullough, Ruanda and Ann Marie Ryan. “From ‘Urban’ to Urban: Engaging Urban Schools and Communities in Teacher Education.” Issues in Teacher Education 23, no. 1 (Spring 2014) 151-76.
- Ryan, Ann Marie. “From Child Study to Efficiency: District Administrators and the Use of Testing in the Chicago Public Schools, 1899 to 1928.” Paedagogica Historica 47, no. 3 (June 2011) 341-54.
- Ryan, Ann Marie. “Agency and Structure: Catholic Women and Educational Provision in Early Twentieth Century Chicago.” International Studies in Catholic Education 2, no. 1 (March 2010) 37-49.
- Ryan, Ann Marie. “’More than Measurable Human Products’: Catholic Educators’ Responses to the Educational Measurement Movement in the First Half of the 20th Century.” Catholic Education: A Journal of Inquiry and Practice 13, no. 1 (September 2009) 76-96.