Academic Coaching: Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Academic Coaching a volunteer or paid position?
Academic Coaches earn $10/hr for their service at the school site and for time spent in professional development. Reliability is integral to successful coaching and payment reinforces high expectations of commitment.
- Is Academic Coaching tied to course work?
Some university courses that require a service component recognize Academic Coaching as a valid service opportunity.
- How do coaches get to the urban high schools on Saturdays?
Coaches travel to and from the school sites in university vans, rental vans or in their own cars.
- What kind of job preparation do Academic Coaches receive?
Coaches receive 6 hours of concentrated project orientation and professional development before the first study session at the school site that includes:
team building; relevant school site information; literature review related to urban education issue; effective tutor/mentor methods; 60+ coach handbook.
- Are all the Academic Coaches education majors?
No. Highly qualified students in all curricular areas are recruited for the job.