MA in Research Methodology
Completion of the MA degree program requires 24 semester hours of graduate credit and a thesis. Students are expected to have completed one undergraduate course in statistics.
Required Courses (18 semester hours)
- RMTD 400: Research Methods in the Social Sciences
- RMTD 404: Introduction to Educational Statistics
- RMTD 406: Evaluation Research
- RMTD 420: Educational Research I: Building a Body of Evidence with Qualitative Methods
- RMTD 421: Educational Research I: Building a Body of Evidence with Quantitative Methods
- RMTD 482: Introduction to Linear Models
Elective Courses (6 semester hours)
Courses must be taken in a substantive area of the social sciences with approval from the student's advisor.
Length of Program: A full-time student enrolled in three courses per semester can complete the coursework in three semesters. The time for the thesis will vary depending on the nature of the student's research agenda. Students have five years from acceptance to complete the program.
Continuous Enrollments: Master's students in Research Methodology are required to maintain the status of continuous enrollment during their program of studies. This means that during each semester of each academic year (excluding Summer Sessions), each student must do one of the following:
- Enroll in one of the following:
- At least one course OR
- RMTD 605 - Master's Studies OR
- RMTD 595 - Thesis Supervision
- A formal leave of absence may be granted upon request and the approval of the Graduate School's Associate Dean.
Thesis: A thesis is required in the major area of research methodology. See Thesis Forms.
Degree Conferral: While the commencement ceremony is every May, degrees can be conferred May, August, and December. Students must apply for graduation/degree conferral. Students should apply for graduation in the semester they anticipate completing all degree requirements. Failure to meet application deadlines may result in a delay of the conferral of the degree to the following semester. Applications for Degree Conferral are due:
- August 1 for December conferral
- December 1 for May conferral
- February 1 for August conferral*
*Students having their degrees conferred in August are eligible to participate in the proceeding May Commencement.
Please note the degree conferral application is valid for only one semester. If the degree is not conferred for the semester requested, a new application is required for a subsequent semester.