State of Illinois Testing Requirements
To be licensed by the State of Illinois, teacher candidates in BSEd programs must receive passing scores on a minimum of three tests. It consists of three parts:
- Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) formerly known as the Basic Skills test (typically required at a time of admissions for teacher preparation)
- Content-Area test in the major discipline:
- Required at the time of admission for MEd secondary education majors
- All other programs require the exam prior to student teaching
- Educational Teacher Performance Assessment (edTPA) is a performance-based assessment embedded in the pre-service teaching experience. Its successful completion is a State requirement for licensure.
Special Education majors are required to pass a fourth test, the Special Education General Curriculum Test, prior to issuance of the license.
Foreign Language (Spanish, French, Italian) majors must also pass a fourth requirement, the Oral Proficiency Interview.
Bilingual/Bicultural majors are required to pass a fourth requirement, the ISBE TLP - Spanish (056)
Teacher candidates should consult their advisor for the appropriate time to take each test.
Candidates for admission to licensure programs may apply using the ACT/SAT scores that meet the following requirements:
- Composite ACT Plus Writing score of at least 22 in the composite and a minimum 16* in Writing; or a composite (mathematics and critical reading) SAT score of 1030 and a minimum 450 in Writing. The writing subtest must have been taken for each test.
*The minimum score of 16 in Writing is only if the test was taken after Sept. 1, 2015. Tests taken prior to that date require the minimum Writing score of 19.
Candidates who wish to apply the ACT/SAT scores must:
- Follow steps 1-3 of these instructions to create an account in ELIS (Educator Licensure Information System)
- If using the ACT, submit an official score report to the Illinois State Board of Education, Division of Educator Licensure, 100 North First Street, S-306, Springfield, IL 62777. Their institutional code is 3001.
- If using the SAT, submit an official score report to the Illinois State Board of Education, Division of Educator Licensure, 100 North First Street, S-306, Springfield, IL 62777. ISBE does not currently have specific code.
- ISBE will destroy score reports if an ELIS account is not activated within 30 days of receiving the official score report.
- Testing Vouchers - The
ICCB basic skills test preparation for TAP is managed by the Illinois Community College Board.
The BST-Prep's purpose is to assist education students in becoming familiar with the Illinois Learning Standards and to develop the competencies necessary to successfully pass the TAP test. This study guide is divided into 18 different lessons. Each lesson provides users with detailed information about each standard and learning activities that will reinforce the concepts being presented. In addition, there are learning reviews and a post test which closely resembles the TAP.
Individuals will need to select "Register Student" above the Login box.
- Use Loyola's "Institution's Passcode": PRGWIHEP8X
(This is case sensitive. Best to copy and paste.)
After registering, you will be assigned a username and password to login and will then be asked to reset your password when you login the first time.
Other links provided by Western Illinois University:
- Preparing for a Multiple-Choice Exam
- Suggestions for Preparing for the Mathematics Portion
- PFD Boot Camp Online
- Grammar Tutorial
Additional test preparation:
- Study guides and sample tests are available on the ILTS website