State of Illinois Testing Requirements
To be licensed by the State of Illinois, teacher candidates in BSEd programs must receive passing scores on a minimum of three tests. It consists of three parts:
- Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) formerly known as the Basic Skills test (typically required at a time of admissions for teacher preparation)
- Content-Area test in the major discipline:
- Required at the time of admission for MEd secondary education majors
- All other programs require the exam prior to student teaching
- Educational Teacher Performance Assessment (edTPA) is a performance-based assessment embedded in the pre-service teaching experience. Its successful completion is a State requirement for licensure.
- An Assessment of Professional Teaching test, grade level specific (required prior to issuance of the license)
Special Education majors are required to pass a fourth test, the Special Education General Curriculum Test, prior to issuance of the license.
Foreign Language (Spanish, French, Italian) majors must also pass a fourth requirement, the Oral Proficiency Interview.
Bilingual/Bicultural majors are required to pass a fourth requirement, the ISBE TLP - Spanish (056)
Teacher candidates should consult their advisor for the appropriate time to take each test.
The Pearson Testing Company is providing institutions with testing vouchers to be used to offset the cost of educator testing for deserving students.
- TAP, Content, and APT - This voucher is for $25 and can be used on any Illinois Licensure Testing System (ILTS) tests. Only one voucher can be used for at the point of registration, but you can apply for vouchers for additional tests. To request a voucher, complete the form and send it to the Licensure Officer, School of Education.
- edTPA - The School of Education has a limited number of $100 waivers for the 2015-2016 to help lessen the cost of the edTPA. There are two available for the fall 2015 term and 22 for the spring 2016 term. Students who apply must have a FASFA on file and demonstrate need. To apply, send an email to email@example.com with the Subject Heading: edTPA Scholarship. Include in the email, your Loyola Identification Number and semester student teaching. The deadline for fall is August 7 and spring October 1. No applications will be accepted after the deadline. Students with the greatest demonstrated need as determined by their FASFA and verified by the Office of Financial Assistance will be award the waivers until all are distributed.
Candidates for admission to licensure programs may apply using the ACT/SAT scores that meet the following requirements:
- Composite ACT Plus Writing score of at least 22 and a minimum 19 in combined English/Writing; or a composite (mathematics and critical reading) SAT score of 1030 and a minimum 450 in Writing. The writing subtest must have been taken for each test.
- Not have failed the TAP five times.
- The official score report cannot be more than ten years old at the time of this application and submission to ISBE.
Candidates who wish to apply the ACT/SAT scores must:
- Follow steps 1-3 of these instructions to create an account in ELIS (Educator Licensure Information System)
- If using the ACT, submit an official score report to the Illinois State Board of Education, Division of Educator Licensure, 100 North First Street, S-306, Springfield, IL 62777. Their institutional code is 3001.
- If using the SAT, submit an official score report to the Illinois State Board of Education, Division of Educator Licensure, 100 North First Street, S-306, Springfield, IL 62777. ISBE does not currently have specific code.
- ISBE will destroy score reports if an ELIS account is not activated within 30 days of receiving the official score report.
- Testing Vouchers - The
ICCB basic skills test preparation for TAP is managed by the Illinois Community College Board.
The BST-Prep's purpose is to assist education students in becoming familiar with the Illinois Learning Standards and to develop the competencies necessary to successfully pass the TAP test. This study guide is divided into 18 different lessons. Each lesson provides users with detailed information about each standard and learning activities that will reinforce the concepts being presented. In addition, there are learning reviews and a post test which closely resembles the TAP.
Individuals will need to select "Register Student" above the Login box.
- Use Loyola's "Institution's Passcode": PRGWIHEP8X
(This is case sensitive. Best to copy and paste.)
After registering, you will be assigned a username and password to login and will then be asked to reset your password when you login the first time.
Other links provided by Western Illinois University:
- Preparing for a Multiple-Choice Exam
- Suggestions for Preparing for the Mathematics Portion
- PFD Boot Camp Online
- Grammar Tutorial
Additional test preparation:
- Study guides and sample tests are available on the ILTS website