John M. Wozniak Lecture Series
Dr. John Wozniak joined the faculty of Loyola University Chicago in 1950. One year later, he was made acting chair of the Department of Education. He served for 18 years in that capacity until the founding of the School of Education in 1969, when he became dean, a position he held for another 10 years. John was a remarkable educator, scholar, mentor, colleague, and friend to all those passing through the School of Education. Dr. Wozniak retired in 1984 and remained active in the School of Education alumni events until his death in 2013. The lecture series was established in 2009 to recognize Dr. Wozniak’s contributions to the university and school.
Our Annual Presentation
Lauren Heidbrink, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Chair of Social and Behavior Sciences
National Louis University, Chicago, IL
Student Voices Panel Presentation:
Carlos Luna, Christina Nuῆez, Eyleen Gramajo, and Myra Martinez
March 16, 2016
Water Tower Campus
Lecture: 5:30-6:30 p.m.
Reception: Immediately after lecture
Regents Hall (Lewis Towers 16th Floor)
Registration is required.
- 2016 - Lauren Heidbrink, PhD, Assistant Professor, Chair of Social and Behavior Sciences National Louis University, Chicago, IL
TITLE: Crossing Borders: Lessons from Unaccompanied Migrant Youth (video)
- 2015 – Pedro Noguera, PhD, Peter L. Agnew Professor of Education, Steinhardt School of Culture, Education and Development, Executive Director, Metropolitan Center for Research on Equity and the Transformation of Schools, New York University
TITLE: Education, Racial Inequality and the Future of American Democracy (video)
- 2014 – Gloria Ladson-Billings, PhD, Assistant Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs, University of Wisconsin-Madison
TITLE: Getting Serious about Education: Culturally Relevant Teaching for New Century Students (video)
- 2013 – Marilyn Cochran-Smith, PhD, Cawthorne Professor of Teacher Education for Urban Schools. Director, Doctoral Programs in Curriculum and Instruction, Boston College
TITLE: Teacher Education at the Crossroads
- 2012 – Charles Payne, PhD, Frank P. Dixon Distinguished Service Professor in the School of Social Service Administration, University of Chicago
TITLE: So Much Reform: Maybe a Little Change (video)
- 2011 – Judy Elliott, PhD, Chief Academic Officer of the Los Angeles Unified School District
TITLE: Preparing Teachers for Today’s Schools