- In the event a death or serious injury occurs on campus immediately call 4-4911.
- Public Safety will respond ASAP to secure the area and no one, including the media, will be permitted in the area until such time as medical and police officials clear the scene. The area will be treated as a crime scene until such time as foul play is ruled out.
- The name of the victim and other information will not be released except to on-site emergency assistance personnel. The Medical Examiner or University Ministry will inform the family of a death.
- The University offers counseling through the Counseling Center and University Ministry for any student who requests this assistance.
- Students - The Vice President of Student Affairs or Designate is responsible for informing the appropriate departments and other students of a death or serious injury of a student after the immediate family has been notified.
- Faculty/Staff Member - Department Heads, Deans, and Vice Presidents are responsible for informing the appropriate departments and co-workers of a death or serious injury of a faculty or staff member.
- Public Relations is responsible for all contact with the media.
Student Family Member's Death:
- The death or serious injury of a member of a student's family is an emotional situation that should be handled with sensitivity. Notification to a student of a death or serious injury of a member of their family should be made by the Vice President of Student Affairs or Designate.