Social Justice Photo Contest
The Center for Experiential Learning, the office of Community Service & Action, and the Provost’s Office for Social Justice Initiatives invite Loyola undergraduates to reflect on the ways in which their academic and co-curricular work promotes social justice in Chicago and beyond, and to submit photographs that capture those contributions to our first-ever Social Justice Photography Contest. Digital photos can be submitted in one of three categories, each of which speaks to an aspect of social justice:
Solidarity -- This idea affirms that we are interdependent, that we need each other, that we have both rights and duties as members of the human family, and that we must work together for the common good of all.
Sustainability -- As members of the human family we owe it to this and future generations to care for the earth, share resources fairly, and work for policies that advance the well-being of all the earth’s people.
”Expanding knowledge in the service of humanity” (Loyola mission statement) -- As members of Loyola University Chicago, we seek to create and apply knowledge that promotes the good of all as we learn and work together with the goal of making our world a more just and humane home for all.
The contest runs from February 22 to March 22. All photos must be submitted within this time frame, although they may have been taken earlier. Each photo entry must include the following:
- Name of photographer
- Date, time, and location where the photo was taken
- Theme the photo represents
- A 100-150 word reflection on how the photo represents or relates to the chosen theme. These reflections will be showcased with winning entries, and so should be ready for publication..
- Contact information for the photographer (email and phone number)
- Photos, along with the information listed above, should be sent to email@example.com. Please attach the photo to the email submission and include all above information in the body of the email.
- A participant may submit only one photo in each of the three categories, for a total of up to three entries.
- In submitting photos to this contest, participants allow Loyola University Chicago to claim rights to these photos for use in university materials, such as web-based media, printed documents, and printed displays.
In submitting photos, participants agree to the following stipulations for awarding prizes to contest winners:
- One winner overall
- One winner in each of the three theme categories
- Honorable mentions will also be awarded to outstanding photos in each category; there will be one honorable mention per category (3 total).
- There will be seven “winning” photos selected in total.
- Prizes will be determined as follows:
- The “overall” winner will receive a $150 gift card from a major credit card institution (e.g., American Express, Visa)
- Each category winner (3 total) will receive a $75 gift card from a major credit card institution (e.g., American Express, Visa)
- Participants receiving “honorable mention” will win gear (e.g. water bottles, t-shirts) from the Center for Experiential Learning
- In addition to the prizes listed above, each winning participant will have his/her winning photo professionally printed, matted, and displayed at the Undergraduate Research & Engagement Symposium, which will be held during Loyola’s Weekend of Excellence (April 19-21, 2013).
- Winners will be announced by Friday April 5, 2013.
For more information on contest guidelines and rules, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Best of luck!