Step-by-Step Instructions on FTPing your HTML andImage File
(gif, jpg) files to ORION and Setting Proper File Permissions.
Telneting to Orion & Changing File Permissions
- Make sure the HTML and all image files associated with the HTML file
are present on you floppy disk.
- Open the File Transfer Program (FTP). On a Windows NT machine FTP
should be located in the "Internet Tools" Folder. To find this
here for a graphic), from the start menu, go to Loyola Software.
- If it doesn't automatically put you into the "session properties"
window, click on the "connect" buttom at the bottom left of the screen
to launch the "session properties" window.
- Hostname and/or profile name should be set to "orion" (Click
here for a graphic)
- Enter your User ID (i.e. "dfelici")
- Enter your password
- Under the "local system" part of the screen scroll down and double
click on "a" to reveal the files saved to your floppy disk.
- Under the "remote system" part of the screen double click on your
.web directory. (You should have created this directory in class).
- Highlight the file you wish to transfer to orion under the "local
system" part of the screen.
- Press the arrow buttom which points to the "remote system" part of
- Your file should transfer into your .web directory.
- Repeat steps 7-10 for all HTML documents and image file (.gif or.jgp)
you wish to transfer.
**Note: You can also connect to orion from the "Internet Tools" folder
in the Loyola Software Folder available from the Start Menu. Below
explains an alternative way to connect.
- In the location field where you usually enter a URL, enter "telnet://orion.it.luc.edu"
- This should launch a telnet window on top of the Netscape window.
- At the "login" prompt enter your login ID
- At the "password" prompt enter your Orion password.
- You should now be connected to Orion.
- At the prompt enter "cd .web" This changes your directory from your
root directory to your .web directory
- Type "ls"
- You should now see a list of all the files you have in your .web
directory including the file or files you just FTPed.
- Type "chmod 664" followed by the name of the file you just transfered.
For example, if you just transfered a file called "sample.html" from
your floppy disk to orion type "chmod 664 sample.html"
- This will change your file permissions so that you can read
and write to the file while others can only read it.
- You will need to repeat steps 10 and 11 for every file you transfer