Ford FOUNDATION DIVERSITY Fellowships
Through its program of Diversity Fellowships, the Ford Foundation seeks to increase the diversity of the nation’s college and university faculties by increasing their ethnic and racial diversity, to maximize the educational benefits of diversity, and to increase the number of professors who can and will use diversity as a resource for enriching the education of all students.
IMPORTANT APPLICATION INFORMATION AND DEADLINE:
Eligibility to apply for a Ford fellowship is limited to:
- All citizens or nationals of the United States regardless of race, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, or sexual orientation,
- Individuals with evidence of superior academic achievement (such as grade point average, class rank, honors or other designations),
- Individuals committed to a career in teaching and research at the college or university level.
The Ford Foundation offers three levels of Fellowships: predoctoral, dissertation, and postdoctoral. Please consult their fact sheet for the program level of your interest and the eligibility requirements for each level. Although the stated deadline for the annual predoctoral competition is on or about November 2, it is important for students to get started on these as soon as the applications are available on September 1. The website provides very useful information on how to prepare your application. For more information, contact:
Dr. James M. Calcagno, Fellowship Director
Sullivan 285; firstname.lastname@example.org; 773-508-3472
TIPS FROM DR. C.:
1) Prepare and leave time to write multiple drafts (perhaps 4-6) of your essays, which are critical to successful applications. Be sure to think about how you can fulfill the mission of the organization when writing them.
2) Contact your potential references early to give them time to write your letters, and ask them to review and comment on your essays. Although I hope to provide you with ample comments and assistance, it is essential that you receive advice from scholars whose work is more closely related to your chosen plans.