dfsXZ Financial Aid Office, Loyola University Chicago

Financial Aid Office|Loyola University Chicago

Financial Aid Office

This siteLUC.edu

Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill

Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or those discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. This program pays tuition and fees directly to the school (up to the maximum in-state tuition and fees at a public institution) and provides a monthly housing stipend and annual book and supply stipend. Click here for more specific information on this program.


  1. Complete application and send to the VA. Complete a VA Form 22-1990, Application for VA Education Benefits, online or on paper. Even if you have used other Veteran Educational Benefits in the past at Loyola or another school, you must complete this form again and elect to use Chapter 33 (remember that this is an irrevocable election to change educational benefits).
  2. Receive Certificate of Eligibility. Once the VA has processed and approved your application, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (VA Form 22-0557) from their office in response to your request. SUBMIT a copy of this form to OSFA. If you are a new student at Loyola, please also submit copies of your Member-4 VA Form DD-214 and/or VA Form DD-2384-1 (Notice of Basic Eligibility) to OSFA.

Certification of Enrollment

OSFA will electronically send your Certification of Enrollment (VA Form 22-1999b) to the VA no sooner than 10 days before the start of the term. The VA will then process the enrollment certification and release tuition payment to Loyola and begin processing your housing and book stipends. You will also receive an e-mail from OSFA to notify you that your enrollment information has been sent to the VA.


The length of service for a Veteran student after September 11, 2001, is how the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) will determine your percentage of maximum benefit payable for tuition and fees, the monthly housing stipend, and the book stipend. Please review the following chart to estimate your percentage of eligibility:

Service Requirements
(after 9/10/01 serve an aggregate of)
% of Maximum Benefit Payable
36 months 100
30 continuous days
(Must be discharged with disability)
30 months, but less than 36 months 90
24 months, but less than 30 months 80
18 months, but less than 24 months 70
12 months, but less than 18 months 60
06 months, but less than 12 months 50
90 days, but less than 06 months 40

Remember, the VA will make the final determination of your percentage of maximum benefit payable for the Post 9/11 GI Bill.


The Yellow Ribbon program is a voluntary agreement with the VA for schools to assist with tuition funding. Loyola University Chicago has chosen to participate fully in this program for the 2009 - 2010 academic year (and has completed paperwork to participate in 2010-2011) and will award certain Yellow Ribbon funds to students in all undergraduate and graduate programs. In order to be considered for the Yellow Ribbon Program, you must meet the following eligibility criteria:

  • Have completed the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) application procedure and submitted your Certificate of Eligibility (VA Form 22-0557) to OSFA.
  • Be at the 100% eligibility level for Chapter 33 benefits.
  • Maintain continuous enrollment at Loyola (i.e., if you withdraw from Loyola, you may not be considered for Yellow Ribbon funds in future academic years).
  • Complete the FAFSA and all other financial aid procedures at Loyola.
  • Utilize all other need-based grant programs, such as State of Illinois MAP Grant, before Yellow Ribbon will be applied to your account.

Once your eligibility has been determined, OSFA will apply Yellow Ribbon funds to your account.


When making the irrevocable decision to change from traditional GI Bill benefits (Chapter 30, Chapter 1607, etc.), it is important to understand how these benefits will impact you at Loyola. We recommend exploring the VA’s comparison information (available online) on the Post 9/11 GI Bill versus other GI Bill programs, and/or to contact the VA for advisement at 888.442.4551.

Transfer of Educational Benefits   

Some members of the Armed Forces may be able to transfer all or some of their Post 9/11 GI Bill to eligible dependents, such as spouse or children. The criteria for this program are very specific and the transfer of benefits must be approved by the Department of Defense (DoD) and the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA). For eligibility information for the TEB program, please visit the following web link: http://gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/CH33/Transfer.htm.

If you believe you are eligible for the TEB program, you must complete the following steps to apply for the program and utilize the benefits at Loyola:

1.  Go to the DoD transferability application website to determine if your parents/spouse are eligible to transfer benefits: https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/TEB/ (The website is only available to military members).

2.  Once the DoD sends approves the transfer of eligibility, you must apply to the VA to use the benefits, by competing a VA Form 22-1990E “Application for Transfer of Entitlement” (which can be completed on-line at http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp, or downloaded on paper at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/). VA Form 22-1990E should only be completed and submitted to VA by the family member after DoD has approved the request for TEB.

3.  Once the VA processes your VA Form 22-1990E Application for Transfer of Entitlement,” they will send you a VA Form 22-0557 “Certificate of Eligibility.” Please submit a copy of this form to OSFA so we can process an enrollment certification and the VA can begin awarding your benefits.

For further questions on this program, please contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 888.442.4551 for assistance.

Enrollment Changes

Changes in Enrollment may have a drastic impact on your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. VA policy dictates that “an individual who does not complete all courses in the certified period of enrollment...will be charged an overpayment equal to the amount to ALL educational assistance paid for that period of enrollment” (this includes the monthly housing and book stipend). Even though tuition and fees are paid directly to Loyola, overpayments resulting from enrollment changes will be charged to the veteran. Therefore, discussing enrollment changes with OSFA before you withdraw from any course may help avoid a potential loss of benefits and/or repayment of benefits to the VA. E-mail vetfinaid@luc.edu before you withdraw.

Direct Deposit

You can get payments more efficiently with direct deposit. We strongly encourage you to use direct deposit, if possible, by completing a Direct Deposit Enrollment form (available online). Or, for more information, call toll-free 877.838.2778.

Other Financial Assistance at Loyola

Students are strongly encouraged to apply for financial assistance. We recommend that all students file a FAFSA for each school year. You can file this form online or with a paper form. Be sure to list the Loyola Title IV School Code (001710) as a school choice on the FAFSA. In order to be considered for most types of financial assistance, you must be enrolled at least half-time in a degree-seeking program.

Frequently Asked Questions

Get answers to some common Chapter 33 questions here.


Loyola's Office of Student Financial Assistance
E-mail: vetfinaid@luc.edu
Phone: 773.508.7704
Fax: 773.508.3397

Veteran's Affairs Regional Office (VARO)
P.O. Box 66830
St. Louis, MO 63166-6830
Phone: 888.442.4551
Fax: 314.589.9785
Web site: www.gibill.va.gov