Loyola University Chicago

- Navigation -

Loyola University Chicago

Financial Aid Office


How do I apply for financial aid at Loyola University Chicago? 
To apply for financial aid at Loyola, please complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is year-specific, so you must reapply every year.

What is Loyola’s school code for the FAFSA?
Loyola University Chicago’s school code is 001710. Be sure to list this code on your FAFSA so that Loyola University Chicago can receive your FAFSA information.

What are the deadlines for submitting the FAFSA? 
The earliest you can begin to complete your FAFSA is January 1st of the upcoming year. To be considered for all resources available, we encourage you to submit your FAFSA before March 1st.  If continuing undergraduate students do not meet the March 1 priority application date, eligibility for need-based assistance may be affected.

When I complete the FAFSA, what types of aid can I receive?
When you complete the FAFSA, you are automatically considered for need-based grant programs. You are also considered for federal loans, such the Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Nursing Student Loan and the Federal Stafford Loan.

What if my parents' taxes are not completed by the March 1 priority application date? 
You may use estimated or the prior year’s tax information to file the FAFSA. However, you must correct the FAFSA to include completed federal income tax information as soon as it is available. When completing the FAFSA with estimated information, be sure that the estimates closely match your actual data. If not, your financial aid package could change when the information is updated.

Who should I contact if I need assistance completing my FAFSA?
If you have questions about completing the FAFSA, feel free to contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance.

What should I do if I forget to sign the FAFSA, or if I need to make a correction to an already submitted FAFSA? 
If you forgot to sign the FAFSA or need to make corrections, visit www.fafas.ed.gov and choose the appropriate option under “Step 3: FAFSA Follow-Up”.

My sibling is over 24 years old and lives at home. Should he be included in the household size? 
Family members should be included in the household size only if your parents can verify that they provide more than half of the financial support for the individual. 

I am getting married during the school year. Should I indicate my marital status as "married"? 
You are required to complete the FAFSA using your marital status at the time of application. If you are unmarried now, you must indicate "single" as your marital status. Marital status cannot be updated to married until you file the FAFSA for the next academic year.

My parent refuses to complete the FAFSA with his financial information. What should I do?
Dependent students are required to submit their parents’ information on the FAFSA in order to be considered fully for financial aid. However, parents are not obligated to pay for your educational costs by providing personal information.

If, however, your parent refuses to complete the FAFSA, you may still be eligible for an Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan when completing the FAFSA with only your information.  Contact OSFA to discuss your situation and get full FAFSA filing instructions.

I do not live at home with my parents. Does this mean I am an independent student? 
Not necessarily. You will be considered a dependent student for the current academic year unless you are 24 years of age or older, are an orphan or ward of the court, a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces, a graduate or professional student, are married, or a student who has legal dependents other than a spouse. If you feel you have a unique situation that does not meet the above criteria, you should contact OSFA for assistance.
My parents are divorced. I live with my mother, but my father claims me on his tax return. How do I apply for aid? 
Complete the FAFSA with yours and your mother's information. Only the custodial parent (parent with whom the child lives or last lived) is required to supply financial information for the FAFSA. 

My parents are divorced. My mother is remarried and my step-father has not legally adopted me. Is my step-father required to supply his financial information on the FAFSA? 
Yes. Your mother and stepfather are both required to supply financial information when you complete the FAFSA, as all resources in the household must be considered.

My family has extraordinary circumstances (loss of job/working income, excessive medical bills, etc.) that I do not think are revealed through the FAFSA. How can I relay this information to you?
If your family has experienced a change in your financial situation (loss of employment, excessive medical bills, death of a parent, etc.), you may complete a Special Circumstance Appeal to request a reevaluation of your financial aid eligibility.  Make sure to provide us with copies of all relevant documentation of the situation and its impact on your family’s finances.



Financial Aid Office · Sullivan Center · 6339 N. Sheridan Rd., Chicago, IL 60660 · 773.508.7704 · lufinaid@luc.edu
Mailing Address: 1032 W. Sheridan Rd., Chicago, IL 60660

Notice of Non-discriminatory Policy