Focus on Teaching and Learning: Spring 2012
Engaging our Students in the Teaching and Learning Process
Information Commons - 4th Floor
9:00 Welcome by Justin Daffron, SJ., Associate Provost
9:05-10:15 Keynote Presentation
10:30-11:30 Breakout Session I
- Was Steve Jobs an Ignatian Educator? Tinkering, Thinking and Transcendent Beauty. Kevin Gillespie, SJ, Associate Provost. (Presentation, video)
- Involving Students in Developing Class Participation. John Orwat and Marcia Spira, School of Social Work.(Presentation) (Class participation tool)
- E-Books and E-Textbooks: Possibilities and Pitfalls of Academic Digital Monographs. Tara Radniecki, University Libraries. (Presentation)
11:45-1:15 Lunch and Resource Tables
1:15-2:15 Breakout Session II:
- An Approach to Individualized Education Using Weekly Online Radiology Cases. Arcot Chandrasekhar, Stritch School of Medicine. (video)
- Enhancing Student Transformation Through Engagement. P. Ann Solari-Twadell, School of Nursing, panel of students.
- Hands-on Introduction to Adobe Connect. Tim Walker, Liz VanKleeck, Academic Technology Services, Terry Moy, Faculty Center for Ignatian Pedagogy. (pre-registration required)
2:30-3:30 Breakout Session III:
- Student Made Films as a Means of Deep Learning. Robert Morrison, Psychology and Stritch School of Medicine; panel of students. (Presentation)
- Adventures in Feminist Pedagogy. Suzanne Bost, English, Hector Garcia, Modern Languages and Literatures, Betsy Jones Hemenway, History/WSGS, Bren Ortega Murphy, School of Communication, Loretta Stalans, Criminal Justice/Psychology.
- Faculty Innovators Project: iPads and Tablets in the Classroom Kathleen Kannass, Psychology, Mario Borha, Mathematics and Statistics, Heather Cramond, English, Stacy Neier, School of Business Administration. (Presentation, video)
Spring Focus on Teaching and Learning is sponsored by: Academic Technology Services, the Center for Experiential Learning, Faculty Administration, the Faculty Center for Ignatian Pedagogy, the Graduate School, and University Libraries.