Social Media is a great tool to connect with people from around the world, share your knowledge, gather ideas and professionally network with like-minded individuals. The ITS HelpDesk at Loyola University Chicago encourages the proper use of social media tools.
In an effort to help ITS HelpDesk (HD) staff properly use social media, a list of best practices have been created. The information will help you effectively represent and protect not only yourself but also the University.
Be accurate. Make sure that you have all the facts before you post. It's better to verify information with a source first than have to post a correction or retraction later. Cite and link to your sources whenever possible; after all, that's how you build community.
Be Transparent. When posting information about the company always include your role (e.g. Coordinator). If you mistakenly post incorrect information, correct it swiftly.
Employee Handbook. Be sure to review the employee or student handbook prior to utilizing social media to post content in order to protect yourself and the University.
Adhere to all local and federal laws, including HIPPA, FERPA and copyright regulations. Always keep ethical and professional responsibility at the forefront:
- ITS HelpDesk staff and student workers must have authorization to post on behalf of the department.
- Unless authorized to release new information, all information posted must already be public knowledge. When appropriate, cite source information.
- Prior to posting information, employees should use their best professional judgment. If uncertainty exists, consult a Manager or Supervisor.
- The ITS HelpDesk will work to ensure posts are accurate and correct.
- The ITS HelpDesk will moderate second party commentary to the best of our ability. We do not endorse information posted by “followers” and are not responsible for their content.
- ITS HelpDesk posts are created to add value and the department will remain engaged and informed. The goal is to provide content of both use and value to our clients.