Undergraduate Essay Contest
2017 Undergraduate Essay Contest
The History Essay Contest, sponsored by the Department of History, gives undergraduate students the opportunity to gain recognition for excellence. Students whose entries are judged to merit awards by the History Department faculty will be eligible for cash prizes: 1st prize, $250; 2nd prize, $200; 3rd prize, $150. Seniors will be recognized at the Awards Program for the College of Arts and Sciences.
DEADLINE: APRIL 2, 2017 AT 11:59 PM.
- Any current undergraduate student at Loyola University Chicago is eligible to enter the contest.
- The entry should deal with a historical theme or topic, or a subject of current or general interest discussed from a historical perspective. Any essay written for an undergraduate history course at Loyola in 2016 or 2017 is eligible. One essay per person may be submitted.
- Entries must also include notes and a bibliography of sources used. On correct footnote and bibliography form, see Kate L. Turabian, A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, 7th edition.
- Entries will be judged on the basis of content and style. To qualify for an award, the entry must be accurate in grammar and spelling and must be clear in its organization and presentation.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
- Email your essay (pdf or Word document) to email@example.com. This file should contain your complete essay, bibliography, and notes.
- Cover page: The following information should appear on the cover page only: title, author's name, permanent address, and email address, the course for which the paper was written, and semester in which the paper was written. The author’s name should not appear on subsequent pages.
- Formatting details: Entries must be formatted for standard (8-1/2" x 11") paper, with 1” margins, double-spaced, in 12-point font, with numbered pages. The entry should not exceed twenty-five pages, exclusive of bibliography and notes.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: APRIL 2, 2017 AT 11:59 PM via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information, please contact any member of the faculty of the Department of History or email@example.com.