Personal/Family-Friendly Days Policy
Each year Loyola University Chicago will provide four (4) Personal or Family Friendly Days for all full time Lakeside and Health Sciences staff and two (2) Personal or Family Friendly Days for all part time Lakeside and Health Sciences staff who are scheduled to work 20 or more hours per week. Exempt 9, 10, or 11-month staff members do not earn Personal or Family Friendly Days.
To provide time away from work to attend to personal business, emergency situations or family needs.
This policy applies to regular employees of Loyola University Chicago (LUC) who are scheduled to work at least twenty (20) hours per week and are primarily located at the Lakeside campuses; and LUC employees who are primarily located at the Maywood campus (e.g. University – Health Sciences Division [SSOM & NSON], etc). Staff employees who are paid monthly are not covered by this policy.
- Personal/Family Friendly days will be awarded to eligible staff effective with the first payroll period for each calendar year.
- Unused Personal/Family Friendly days will not carry forward and will be forfeited if unused by the end of the calendar year. Pay and Holiday Calendar
- Personal/Family Friendly days may not be used within the first 90 days of employment.
- Personal/Family Friendly days will not be paid out at termination.
Full Time Staff (1.0 FTE)
1. Full time staff will receive four (4) Personal/Family Friendly days each year.
2. Personal/Family Friendly days will be prorated for new full time staff hired on or after January 1, according to the following schedule:
|Hire Period||# of Days|
|January 1 thru March 31||3 days|
|April 1 thru June 30||2 days|
|After July 1||None*|
*Full time staff hired on or after July 1st will not be eligible for Personal/Family Friendly days for that year.
3. Exempt staff may use only Personal/Family Friendly days in full day increments. Nonexempt staff may use Personal/Family Friendly days in less than full day increments if desired.
Part Time Staff (<1.0 FTE)
1. Part time staff scheduled to work at least twenty or more hours per week will receive two (2) Personal/Family Friendly days each year.
2. Personal/Family Friendly days will be prorated for new part time staff hired on or after January 1, according to the following schedule:
|Hire Period||# of Days|
|January 1 thru June 30||1 day|
|After July 1||None*|
*Part time staff hired on or after July 1st will not be eligible for Personal/Family Friendly days for that year.
3. Part time staff may use Personal/Family Friendly days in less than full day increments if desired.
1. Personal/Family Friendly days should be scheduled in advance whenever possible. Personal/Family Friendly days can be taken at the employee’s convenience subject to supervisory approval. When considering a request for time off, the Supervisor’s primary consideration should be the operational needs of the department which must be balanced with the employee’s emergent personal/family needs.
2. It is the employee’s responsibility to schedule Personal/Family Friendly days for use no later than the end of the calendar year, unused time will not carry forward and will be forfeited. Pay and Holiday calendar.
C. Changes in Status, Company Transfers or Termination of Employment
1. Personal/Family Friendly allotments for the year will be adjusted based on the posted schedule above when an employee’s change in status results in an increase in FTE from Part Time to Full Time(1.0 FTE).
2. Personal/Family Friendly allotments for the year will not be adjusted when an employees’ change in status results in a decrease in FTE from Full Time to Part Time, unless that change in status results in a decrease of hours below 20 per week. Unused Personal/Family Friendly allotments will then be forfeited.
3. Employees who change employment from LUMC to LUC, will follow the same allocation schedule as defined for new staff under "A. Eligibility" of this policy.
4. Employees who terminate employment will not be paid for any remaining Personal/Family Friendly days. Personal/Family Friendly days may not be used during the last two weeks of employment.
To schedule Personal/Family Friendly days in advance with the supervisor whenever possible.
Every supervisor is responsible for scheduling and documenting Personal/Family Friendly time used by exempt and non-exempt employees by authorizing the Payroll Department’s payment of Personal/Family Friendly days in accordance with this policy.
LUC Human Resources has the responsibility for interpreting and administering the Personal / Family Friendly Days policy and the authority to make exceptions.
(rev:08/08/2008, effective January 1, 2009)