Transfer of Employee Service Credit LUMC/LUC
This policy outlines procedures related to employee service credit between Loyola University Chicago (LUC) and Loyola University Medical Center (LUMC) on or after January 1, 2013. When employees change employment from one organization to the other (LUC to LUMC or LUMC to LUC), employees will be terminated from employment from their previous position at the original employer (LUC or LUMC) and be hired as a new employee at the new employer (LUC or LUMC). However, employee service credit from the original employer will be transferred with employees as they begin employment at the new employer.
For purposes of this policy, an employee’s length of service at LUC and LUMC is defined as the years of continuous service at the organization since the employee’s most recent date of hire as a regular status (not temporary or casual) employee. The employee’s length of service in each organization will be credited to the employee upon hire to the other organization.
This policy applies to all benefit eligible full-time and part-time employees in regular and temporary status positions employed by LUC or LUMC. This policy only applies to employees who transfer employment from one organization to the other without a break in service with the exception of an employee whose position is eliminated through a work force reduction (see SectionIII.E.6).
This policy does not apply to LUC faculty, LUMC employed physicians or LUMC residents. At this time, this policy does not apply to employees of other Trinity Health Mission Organizations.
A. LUC and LUMC benefits are determined and calculated pursuant to applicable LUC and LUMC policies and procedures in effect from time to time and are, at all times, subject to alteration, revision or discontinuation by LUC and/or LUMC.
B. An employee’s credited length of service will only be utilized to determine eligibility for the following three benefits and/or awards.
1. LUC/LUMC Vacation/Sick Time accruals
2. LUC/LUMC Service Awards
3. LUC/LUMC Tuition Benefit eligibility
C. All benefit plans at LUC and LUMC, including retirement benefits, will end for employees who terminate employment at the original employer. The benefit plans will not carry over between organizations. The employees will then be eligible for the benefit plans at the new employer upon hire according to the benefit plans eligibility requirements. With the exceptions of the Vacation, Sick Time, Service Awards and Tuition eligibility provisions of this policy, coverage in LUC and LUMC benefit plans and other paid time off policies will begin according to the eligibility dates used for new hire employees who have not been employed at LUC or LUMC in the past. All deductibles, co-pays and waiting periods will be the same as new hire employees who have not been employed at LUC or LUMC in the past.
D. Tuition Eligibility
1. LUMC to LUC: An employee’s length of service at LUMC will be credited to the employee upon hire at LUC. When an employee terminates employment from LUMC and is hired at LUC, the employee is subject to the LUC tuition benefit policy. When the change occurs, the employee will be eligible for the LUC tuition benefit provided the employee has worked at least one full continuous year as a full-time employee in a regular status position immediately prior to utilizing the LUC tuition benefit. The year must be continuous but can be split between both companies.
2. LUC to LUMC (employee benefit for self): An employee’s length of service at LUC will be credited to the employee upon hire at LUMC. When an employee terminates employment from LUC and is hired at LUMC, the employee is subject to the LUMC tuition benefit policy. When the change occurs, the employee will be eligible for the LUMC tuition benefit for his or her own coursework provided the employee has worked at least one full continuous year as a full-time employee in a regular status position immediately prior to utilizing the LUMC benefit. The year must be continuous but can be split between both companies.
3. LUC to LUMC (spouse dependent benefit): An employee’s length of service at LUC will be credited to the employee upon hire at LUMC. When an employee terminates employment from LUC and is hired at LUMC, the employee will be eligible for the LUMC tuition benefit for his or her spouse and/or dependents provided the employee has worked at least five full continuous years as a full-time employee in a regular status position immediately prior to utilizing the LUMC benefit. The five years must be continuous but can be split between both companies.
E. Paid Time Off
1. Vacation Time: A benefit eligible full-time and part time employee of LUC and LUMC cannot transfer unused vacation time accrual when the employee terminates employment at the original employer and is hired at the new employer. All unused vacation time accrual will be paid out to the employee upon termination of employment. However, credited length of service for an LUC or LUMC employee as defined in Section II will be provided to the employee so that the employee will begin accruing vacation time immediately at the appropriate accrual rate for years of service (according to the new employer’s vacation policy) without a waiting period. If time off is requested following the change to the new employer, the employee will be eligible to utilize unpaid time with approval of the new department manager.
2. Sick Time: A full-time employee of LUC and LUMC will be able to transfer accrued paid sick time hours up to a maximum of 10 days or 75 hours for employees who will be working 75 standard hours in their new position and 10 days or 80 hours for employees who will be working 80 standard hours in their new position. The employee will not be eligible to transfer any hours in excess of 75 or 80 hours depending on the standard work week in the new position. Employees will forfeit any accrued sick time hours in excess of the 75 or 80 hours maximum. For part –time employees, the transfer of accrued paid sick time hours will be pro-rated based on the FTE status of the employee.
3. Effective Employment Date Change: When an employee terminates from the original employer and is hired at the new employer, the start date for the newly hired employee will be mutually agreed to by the employee’s original employer/manager and the new employer/manager. The new hire date will be the actual date the employee begins employment (working) for the new employer. The Human Resources departments at LUMC and LUC will facilitate the employment date changes between organizations. An offer letter from the new employer will state the effective date of the hire into the new employer and will include a benefit comparison sheet of the companies. The benefit comparison sheet will be signed by the VP or/and benefit representative from each company or their designee and be returned to the original employer as acknowledgement of a new benefit plan.
4. The offer letter will also state pre-employment requirements, probation and/or 90 day review period and any company specific conditions of employment.
5. Employee Records/ Files and Requirements: The complete official Human Resources record and/or files of employees will not be transferred between LUC and LUMC. New employee files will be maintained at each institution. LUC and LUMC will obtain new applications, I-9 and tax forms for the transferring employee. LUC and LUMC will only share the employment dates as referenced in this policy.
6. Rehires: This policy only applies to benefit eligible employees who change employment from one organization to the other without a break in service with the exception of an employee whose position is eliminated through a work force reduction. Any employee rehired within one year of being laid off due to a work force reduction at either LUMC or LUC will retain their original hire date at LUC or LUMC and will be subject to the provisions of this policy related to vacation, sick time, service awards and tuition eligibility dates. Any employee who voluntarily terminates employment or is involuntarily terminated (excluding reduction in force) and is re-employed after a break in service will be considered a new hire at LUC and LUMC and will have eligibility requirements for all benefits and paid time off the same as a new hire at LUC and LUMC; there will not be a transfer of an employee service credit.
The Human Resources Departments at LUC and LUMC are responsible for administering employee transfers in accordance with this policy. Any questions regarding this policy should be referred to either the LUC or LUMC Human Resources Department.
(Effective implementation date 1/1/13)