University Walking Challenge
What: The University Walking Challenge is back!
When: Registration opens April 1st! The Challenge will run from May 6th – June 16th.
Where: Everywhere! Log those steps and miles everywhere you go!
How: After you have signed up, log your steps and miles on the Blue Cross Blue Shield website walkingworks.com starting May 6th!
If you do not own a pedometer, you can use websites like mapmyrun.com and logyourrun.com to determine distances walked.
Who: The University Walking Challenge is open to Faculty and Staff only. Spouses, children and other dependents as well as student workers are excluded from participation.
How Do I Sign-Up?
- Select plan: Illinois, Blue Cross Blue Shield>
- Select group: Loyola University Chicago
- Select Program: Loyola University Walking Challenge
- Select an LUC team: Choose one of the LUC departments/schools or Central Administration (a catch-all for small departments/schools staff members)
- Lastly, fill out your contact information
If you participated in the challenge last year, you will have to sign up again. Because other universities in the area will not be participating in the challenge this year, please sign up with your department. Small departments will sign up under the Central Administration option.
At the end of the challenge, the top five participants who logged the most miles will win a prize along with some much deserved recognition. There will also be a weekly drawing for a prize if you have 1.) logged miles for the week and 2.) “liked” the LUC Benefits Facebook or start following LUCBenefits on Twitter.
Check out these other helpful links for information on other walk/runs in Chicago this summer as well as other resources to use to track your steps!
The top five individuals who log the most mileage will receive the following prizes:
- 1st Place: $200 gift card to Fleet Feet
- 2nd Place: Fall semester membership to Halas Sports Center, the new Terry Student Center fitness space, or the Loyola Center for Fitness in Maywood (includes September, October, November, and December)
- 3rd Place: Fitbit Activity Tracker
- 4th Place: Fitbit Activity Tracker
- 5th Place: $75 massage gift certificate
Week 1(Bagel Breakfast)
Week 2($25 gift card)
Week 3(Red Mango & Hershey's Bars)
Department: Undergraduate Admissions
Week 4($25 gift card)
Random T-Shirt Drawing:
Week 5 (Water Bottle & AMC gift card)
WTC: Abe Cortes
LSC: Partricia Mooney-Melvin
HSD: Donna Karl
Highest Average Miles: Pamela Costas (Boat Tour)
Highest Total Miles: Gabrielle Annala (Boat Tour)
Top Walker: Alfred Perez (Starlin Castro Autographed Picture)
Top Walkers Overall!
1) Abe Cortes
2) Yolande Wersching
3) Alfred Perez
4) Susan Graham
5) Marilyn Mui
Total Participants: 329Total Miles: 25,666.25 miles