Equipment Checkout Policy
Currently enrolled students, faculty and staff at Loyola University Chicago may check out PC or Mac laptop computers and headphones from the Information Commons 2nd floor service desk for use in the IC or Cudahy Library for short-term, 3 hour loan periods. For information on the long-term equipment loan from the Digital Media Labs, visit the Digital Media Services Equipment Loan Program webpage.
Access and Use of Equipment
- You must present your University ID to check out a laptop or headphones from the Information Commons 2nd floor service desk.
- Laptops may not leave the Information Commons or Cudahy Library facilities.
- You may check out only one laptop or pair of headphones a time.
- Laptops and headphones may be checked out for no longer than 3 hours.
- By checking out a laptop or headphones, you assume responsibility for any damage to and/or loss of the equipment or software configurations as evaluated by the Digital Media Services staff.
- Any student, faculty or staff member with unpaid fines/fees is unable to participate in checking out equipment until all fines/fees are paid in full.
Returning Equipment and Avoiding Fees
- You must return the laptop or headphones no later than 3 hours after your checkout.
- In the event that equipment is frequently returned late, the Digital Media Services staff may block access to the Equipment Loan Program for up to one semester.
- In the event that the equipment is returned damaged, your account will be assessed a fee for the full replacement cost, or repair (depending on the serverity of the damage and as guided by Digital Media Services) for the equipment. This fee will be calculated at the cost of the equipment and associated accessories of the same brand, model and configuration - or the nearest comparable model - when the item was declared lost.
Understanding Fines and Fees
- If returned late, a fine will be assessed at a pro-rated rate of $12 per hour. If the equipment is not returned in 24 hours, the equipment will be declared lost and full replacement cost will be asssessed to your account.
- After notification, fines may be disputed with Digital Media Services online (https://myits.luc.edu/fineappeal) at any time during the 15-day review period; however, after the 15-day review period and being sent to the Bursar's Office and fines may not be contested or appealed.
- All fines must be paid within 15 days of notice. Unpaid fines will be assessed a minimum amount of $25 to be posted to your student account - which may impact registration.