Certificate in Religious Education
This advanced graduate certificate program prepares individuals for administrating religious education programs or teaching religion in schools and parishes. A graduate degree is required for entry into this program. Five courses comprise this certificate program:
- Principles of Religious Education
- Religious Education, Evangelization, and Culture
- Foundations of Christian Spirituality; or Liturgy and the Christian Sacraments; or Moral Theology and Catholic Social Teaching
- Church Documents on Catechesis and Religious Education
- Religious Education Practicum
To apply for admission to the graduate programs in the Institute of Pastoral Studies, the following documents are required from domestic applicants:
- A $50 application fee
- A completed application form
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and any graduate work
- Two letters of recommendation
- A personal statement (Please note that your statement will be considered confidential.)
For degree-seeking and certificate-seeking applicants: Please submit an essay approximately 5-6 double-spaced pages in length responding to the following topics:
1. Write a brief autobiographical essay, focusing particularly on what you consider key themes in your personal development.
2. Describe your current situation in your personal development.
3. Who and/or what have influenced you to pursue this course of study?
4. Describe the ministry experiences that have most impacted you.
5. Describe your educational journey.
6. How would you characterize your learning style?
7. Upon completion of this program, how/where/with whom do you see yourself ministering?
8. What contemporary issues do you see as most in need of being influenced by values and beliefs?
9. If you are not accepted into this program, what are your alternative educational plans?
For non-degree seeking applicants only: Please submit an essay (1-2 pages double-spaced) describing how graduate studies at IPS would further your vocational, professional, and/or ministerial goals.
For international applicants, the following documents are required in addition to those listed above:
- Either a TOEFL or IELST score report is required for international applicants whose
native language is not English. For the TOEFL, a score of at least 213 on the computer-based test or 550 on the written test is required. The minimum score for the new TOEFL iBT (internet-based test) is 79. For the IELTS, a minimum score of 6.5 is required.
- International applicants, or U.S. applicants who completed school abroad, are required to submit non-U.S. transcripts to:
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE)
Please request a General Evaluation with Grade Average and have the official report sent to: Loyola University Chicago, Graduate Enrollment Managaement, 820 N. Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611
For more information about requirements for international applicants, go to:
Application Deadline: Rolling Admissions
Contact Information: The application and all supporting documents must be sent to Graduate Enrollment Management at the following address:
Graduate Enrollment Management
Loyola University Chicago
820 N. Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611