Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling
This degree program prepares pastoral clinicians to provide therapeutic services in faith-based contexts. A multidisciplinary curriculum and peer learning groups are among the distinguishing characteristics of this degree.
Students in this program will find an understanding of pastoral counseling incorporating both the best of psychological theory and the riches of contemporary theology. They will find educational approaches that combine both theory and practice. They will discover a vision of the counselor that reflects both individual and relational work, supportive and intensive therapies, psychological competence and theological congruence. And they will find a methodology that is consistently committed to the achievement of personal and professional integration.
In order to meet the current licensure requirements of the state of Illinois (LPC* as a base for moving toward LCPC*), and to respond to developing nationwide trends toward interstate licensure portability, while continuing to provide the integrative pastoral focus of Loyola’s MA Pastoral Counseling degree, the degree has moved to a three year, 60-hour design.
- LPC = Licensed Professional Counselor
- LCPC = Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor
The program can also be completed half time over four or five years. The half time student's curriculum is determined with their advisor.
A diverse number of internship sites are available from non-profits, governmental organizations, schools, counseling, mental health and faith-based sites. Students apply for these internships and are selected by the sites. Students may submit a site of their own choosing, but it must be approved by the Graduate Program Director.
Below is a sampling of some of the organizations where students in the MA in Pastoral Counseling program have recently completed their internships:
- Access Community Health Network
- Alexian Brothers Interfaith Parish Support Services
- Asian Human Services
- ChicagoLighthouse for People who are Blind or Visually-Impaired
- Christ the King Jesuit Preparatory School
- Claret Center
- Heartland Alliance Marjorie Kovler Center
- Am. Able Family Center
- Isaiah Counseling Center
- Life Works Psychotherapy Center, LLC
- Lorene Replogle Counseling Center
- Loyola University Medical Center
- Loyola University Ministry
- LUHS Department of Psychiatry
- Marjorie Kovler Center
- Methodist Medical Center
- Midwest Palliative
- North Park University Counseling Center
- North Shore Hospice
- Providence Family Services
- Rainbow Hospice
- Rape Victim Advocates
- St. Anthony Home
- Turning Point Behavioral Health Care
- United Stand Family Counseling Center
- Vietnamese Association of Illinois
- Wheaton Youth Outreach