J-1 Medical Insurance Requirement
In order to maintain your J-1 status, you must maintain health insurance that meets the minimum requirements as defined by the U.S. Department of State which governs the exchange visitor program. At a minimum, insurance should cover:
- Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per person per accident or illness
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500
- Expenses associated with medical evacuation in the amount of $10,000
A policy secured to fulfill the insurance requirements should not have a deductible that exceeds $500 per accident or illness.
Willful failure to comply can result in your termination from the J program. This insurance requirement also applies to J-2 dependents.
If you are a student, you will be automatically billed for Loyola's insurance policy. You must bring proof of your own insurance to the Bursar's Office to have Loyola's charge removed from your bill. Proof of insurance is required to grant immigration benefits. The major medical insurance programs listed below meet the minimum requirements of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program.
Some insurance companies provide medical evacuation and repatriation plans to supplement insurance policies that do not include these provisions.
A dental insurance plan is not required by the J program, but may be useful during your stay in the U.S.
You must contact these companies directly to inquire about coverage and rates and to apply for insurance.
Major Medical Insurance Programs
Associated Insurance Plans International
1301 South Wolf Road, Suite 203
Prospect Heights, IL 60070
- Lamar Safe Passage International Student Plan for students, scholars and dependents
- Customized insurance plans for individual needs
Cultural Insurance Services International
102 Greenwich Avenue
Greenwich, CT 06830
Phone: 800.284.3572 or 203.625.5440
- World Class Coverage Plan for students, scholars and dependents
EFG Student Insurance
P.O. Box 809025
Dallas, TX 75380-9025
- United Chinese Plan for students, faculty, scholars & dependents from East and Southeast Asian countries
Harbor Group, LLC
1800 Michael Faraday Drive, Suite 201
Reston, VA 20190
Phone: 800.252.8160 or 703.733.0952
- International Student Medical Insurance for students, scholars and dependents
11 Ascot Place
Ithaca, NY 14850
Phone: 800.242.4178 or 607.257.0100
- Health Care Advantage for students, scholars and dependents
- Preferred Health Plan for students, scholars and dependents
Insurance for Students, Inc.
P.O. Box 24845
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33307-4845
Phone: 800.356.1235 or 954.771.5883
- Chinese Academic Link for students, faculty, scholars & dependents from East and Southeast Asian countries
- International Community Service Insurance for students, faculty, scholars & dependents from East and Southeast Asian countries
- Visiting International Student Plan for students, faculty, scholars & dependents
National Chinese Service Corporation (NCS)
5335 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, Suite 720
Washington, D.C. 20015
Phone: 800.434.8187 or 202.895.1718
- NCS Medical Insurance Program for Chinese students, scholars & dependents
Seabury & Smith
International Student Program
1255 23rd Street NW, Suite 300
Washington, D.C. 20037-1125
Phone: 800.331.3047 or 202.457.6824
- Gateway Premier for students, scholars and dependents; short-term visitors to the U.S.
- Med Choice International for students, scholars and dependents
T. Lord Associates
P.O. Box 1185
Marietta, GA 30061
- The Plan for students, scholars and dependents
- Seven Stones for short-term visitors to the U.S.
Wallach & Company
107 West Federal Street, P.O. Box 480
Middleburg, VA 20118
Phone: 800.237.6615 or 540.687.3166
- Health Care America for students, scholars, dependents and short-term visitors to the U.S.
- Med Help Worldwide for those traveling for at least six months
Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Plans
11 Ascot Place M
Ithaca, NY 14850
Phone: 800.257.0100 or 607.257.0100
- Medex Plus: Health Plan Supplement for students, scholars, faculty and dependents
International SOS Assistance, Inc.
P.O. Box 11568
Philadelphia, PA 19116
Phone: 800.767.1403 or 215.244.1500
- Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Program for students, faculty, scholars and dependents
Dental Insurance Plans
Associated Insurance Plans International Inc.
143 South Wheeling Road
Wheeling, IL 60090
- Gerber Life Insurance Company
- My Dental Plan
Gladstone Managed Care
P.O. Box 459
Ledgewood, NJ 07852
- Preferred Dental Care Program