Loyola University Chicago

- Navigation -

Loyola University Chicago

International Students & Scholars

Obtaining a Social Security Card

A student with an F-1 or J-1 visa is eligible for a Social Security Number (SSN) if he or she has an offer for an on-campus job, an offer letter for CPT employment (F-1), an offer letter for academic training (J-1) or an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

To obtain an SSN, you must request a letter from OIP certifying that you are eligible for an SSN. To request a letter, complete the Social Security Letter Request Form  (PDF) and bring it to OIP. Allow three business days to receive the letter.

Once you have a letter of eligibility, take it to a U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) at: 77 W. Jackson Boulevard in the South Loop, accessible from the CTA red line Jackson stop. For SSA office hours, call: 1.800.772.1213. You must also take these documents:

Students planning to work on campus also should take the offer letter from their prospective employer (see Sample Employment Letter).

F-1 students working on CPT also should take their SEVIS I-20s with OIP's authorization for CPT.

F-1 students working on OPT or Economic Hardship Employment also should take their EADs from the U.S. immigration service.

J-1 students working on Academic Training also should take the job offer letter and authorization from their sponsors.


International Students & Scholar Services · Sullivan Center, 6339 N. Sheridan Rd, Chicago, IL 60660
Mailing Address: 1032 W. Sherdian Road, Chicago, IL 60660
773.508.3899 · iss@luc.edu

Notice of Non-discriminatory Policy