What are clickers?
"Clicker" is a simple term used to describe a wireless hand-held device that can be used to interact with students in the classroom. Clickers allow for "instant" feedback from students for questions posed by instructors.
What clicker system is used at Loyola?
Beginning in Fall 2009, Loyola has partnered with i>clicker to serve as the preferred audience response system vendor. Instructors interested in using clicker technology can help decrease student expenses by adopting this university-wide system. An i>clicker remote can be used for multiple classes and sold back to the bookstore. Additional benefits include on-campus technical support by Academic Technology Services and teaching and training support from the Faculty Center for Ignatian Pedagogy .
NOTE: Encrypted flash drives can now be plugged into the back of the new white base receivers. The new base receivers must be plugged into a power outlet; the power cord is included in the kit.
What's involved in getting an i>clicker instructor kit at Loyola?
Instructors who are interested in using i>clicker for their courses will need to:
- Make a reservation to check out an i>clicker instructor kit each semester with Instructional Technology and Research Support (ITRS); pick-up your kit from the Lakeshore campus (contact Liz Van Kleeck at firstname.lastname@example.org for pickup location) or Water Tower campus (contact Joe Brunner at email@example.com for pickup location).
- Include a requirement in the course syllabus for students to acquire an i>clicker.
- Include the i>clicker as part of their course material order to the campus bookstore, the Follett Higher Education Group. Individual clickers can be purchased from the bookstore for approximately $30 (prices may vary). The ISBN number is 0-7167-7939-0.
- Instructors can find additional information by visiting the i>clicker Ordering Information page.
How do I learn more about teaching with clickers?
Instructors what are intersted in learning more about best practices for teaching with i>clickers can:
- For assistance with weighing the options for whether or not to integrate i>clicker into the classroom, contact the Faculty Center for Ignatian Pedagogy at ext. 8-7470.
- Review current professional development offerings from Academic Technology Services or the Faculty Center for Ignatian Pedagogy. For general direction about using i>clicker, email Instructional Technology and Research Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I use clickers with my Blackboard course?
Instructors interested in recording i>clicker results within the Blackboard Grade Center should direct students to register their clickers in their Blackboard courses. There is a Register Your i>clicker Remote ID link for students at the bottom of the Tools area in all courses. If students do not register their clickers in a course, the instructor will not be able to upload the results from an i>clicker session. For additional assistance, visit i>clicker for Blackboard.
Complete Classroom Kit
Loyola has two complete classroom kits containing a base receiver, 2 instructor remotes, 50 participant remotes, USB extension cable, and a flash drive containing the latest Windows and Mac version of the i>clicker software all bundled in a carrying case on wheels. This kit is available to faculty and staff interested in trying out the technology for a single class session or individual meeting. The kit must be returned within 48 hours of receipt. At this time the kit is not available in the Instructional Technology and Research Support online equipment loan program. Please contact Liz Van Kleeck directly at email@example.com for questions and/or to make a request.
Models and Best Practices for Using Clickers
A pedagogical session on i>clicker in which Loyola University faculty Dr. Jan Florian (Department of Chemistry) and Dr. Olympia Gonzalez (Department of Modern Languages) share their experiences using clickers and respond to audience questions. The session was recorded on April 30, 2012, in the Simpson Living-Learnng Center Multipurpose Room on Loyola's Lake Shore Campus.
Dr. Olympia Gonzalez' Presentation: Teaching with iclicker