creating a journal
Journals provide personal writing space for students for self-reflection or private communication with the instructor. The instructor can also choose to make Journal entries public, allowing all course members to view all entries.
1. From the Course Menu, click on the Content Area where you wish to create your Journal.
2. Click on Add Interactive Tool, and then click on Journal to enter the details for creating a Journal.
3. From the Create Link: Journal page you can choose to create a link from the content area you are currently in to the Journals page (which may contain multiple Journals); the Journals page is housed by default in the Tools content area. Or you may choose to create a link in this content area to a specific Journal. You can link to a Journal that has already been created, or you can create a new journal from this page. This tutorial will focus on creating a new journal, and then linking to it.
4. Enter a brief Name for the new Journal and your Instructions in the text editor (optional).
5. Make the Journal Available by clicking Yes.
6. You may also set date and time restrictions for the Journal to be available.
7. Click Monthly if you wish to Index the Journal monthly or Weekly as required. The Index is a list of entry titles in a Journal.
8. Check on Permit Course Users to View Journal if you are ready for your students to access the Journal.
9. If you are grading the Journal, click on Grade: Points Possible and enter the maximum number of points a student could receive for the Journal.
10. Click Submit to create the Journal. You will see a success message displayed on the page.
Creating a Link to the Journal
To make the Journal accessible to the students you can create a link to the specific Journal using the Create Link: Journal Page.
1. Select the Link to a Journal option and click on the name of the Journal from the list. Click Next to go on the next page.
2. On the Create Link: Journal page you can enter the Link Name.
3. Make it available to students by clicking on the Yes option button in Step 2. Options.
4. Click Submit to create the Link.
5. Students can access the link by going to the Content Area where you have created the link.