Setting up a Turnitin Assignment
1. From a Content Area of your course, mouse over Create Assessment and click Turnitin Assignment from the drop down menu.
2. On the Add Turnitin Assignment page, select Paper Assignment by clicking on the radio button next to Paper Assignment and click Next Step to proceed.
3. Enter an assignment title and choose the start and due dates for the assignment. Students can only submit once the start date and time has passed, and will be blocked from submitting the assignment after the due date and time.
· Make sure the post date is after the due date and the due date is after the start date. If this is not the case, your assignment will not be created.
·If you like, you can enter an additional assignment description under More Options > Enter special instructions, but make sure the description is less than 1,000 characters. If you enter more than 1,000 characters, your assignment will not be created.
If you select More Options, you will see options for such things as allowing students to view Originality Reports and allowing submissions after the due date.
Here are meanings of options for generating Originality Reports:
• immediately (first report is final) - Originality Reports for all submissions will be generated immediately. Students cannot resubmit papers. Submissions must be deleted by the instructor to enable resubmission.
• immediately (can overwrite reports until due date) - Originality Reports for the initial submission by each student user to this assignment will be generated immediately. Students may resubmit as often as they wish until the assignment due date. Originality Reports for the second or subsequent submission will require a 24 hour delay before the Originality Report begins processing. Only the latest submission is available to the instructor or student. Previous versions are removed. Student submissions will compare against one another within the assignment on the due date and time, which may result in a change in the Originality Report similarity index and results at the due date and time. This option is typically used when students are self-reviewing and revising their submissions and able to view the Originality Report. No resubmissions after the due date and time of the assignment.
• on due date - Originality Reports will not be generated for any submission until the due date and time of the assignment. Students may resubmit as many times as needed until the due date and time without receiving reports. Resubmissions may not be made after the due date and time of the assignment.
By default, papers submitted to this assignment will be checked against a database of papers submitted at Loyola, as well as against papers posted on the Internet.
Completing the assignment
To complete the assignment, students should
Go to the content area where the Turnitin assignment was created.
- Click on the View/Complete link, which will bring up their Assignment.
- Click the Submit button.
- Fill out a form giving their name and the title of the submission.
- Browse for the file to upload and click the Upload button.
- Verify that author, title, and preview are correct on the Preview Submission page (submit paper: Step 2 of 2).
- Click the Submit button.
- See a message that the paper was successfully submitted and a copy of the Turnitin Digital Receipt.
- Click on go to portfolio to return to their Assignment Inbox.
Viewing the report on an assignment
- Click on Course Tools in the Control Panel to expand the list.
- Click on Turnitin Assignments.
- Click on the name of the assignment to view.
- To view a paper, click the paper's title.
- To view an Originality Report, click the paper's Originality Report icon in the report column.
- To download the file, click on the File icon.