Quick Links: Layout of Sakai, Setting Up Your Course, Adding Course Content, Backup Course Content, Assignments, Communication, Tests & Quizzes, Gradebook, Integrated Tools
Layout of Sakai
My Workspace - Your My Workspace area in Sakai is a private file repository that collects and displays announcements, calendar events, and messages from all of your Sakai sites.
Faculty FAQ - Frequently asked questions.
Setting Up Your Course
Course/Project Tabs - Simplify navigation in Sakai by customizing course/project tabs.
Customize Site Information Display - Add images, text or a URL to customize your Home Page.
Instructor Information Page - How to create an instructor information page in Sakai.
Adding, Removing, Reordering Tools - How to change and update the tools seen in the left-hand tool menu.
Statistics Tool - How to create custom reports for tracking activity in your course or project site. Please Note: The tool begins tracking activity on the date and time you add it to your site. If you plan to use this tool to verify student access to course material you should enable the tool as soon as your course begins.
Unhiding Sites - How to unhide a hidden site in Sakai.
Create Groups - How to create groups in Sakai.
Sakai Quota - How to check a site quota and ways to reduce quota space.
Adding Course Content
Syllabus Tool - How to add your course syllabus in parts, as an attachment, or as a web page redirect.
Using MathJax/LaTeX - How to use MathJax/LaTeX for mathematics use in your course site.
- Adding and Removing Content - Adding/removing files and URLs in Resources.
- Editing Resources - How to copy and paste, move, and remove files in the Resources tool across course sites and within the same site.
- Save Resources - How to create a local copy of content from the Resources tool of Sakai as a file backup.
- Using the Lesson Tool to Present Content - The Lessons Tool provides a way to organize new or existing resources, tests and quizzes, and media on a single course page.
- Adding Content to the Lesson Tool - How to add different content onto a lesson page.
- Remove Unused (Orphaned) Lesson Pages - How to delete unused lesson pages from your course site to organize content before importing into a new site and to reduce your overall course size.
NOTE: Firefox and Chrome have added a security feature that results in video added using "Add Multimedia" in a Lesson not displaying. For instructions on how to display that content, visit Allowing Blocked Content in Sakai
Backup Sakai Course Content - Download content from your Sakai course by individual item or multiple items simultaneously.
Backup Grades in Sakai - How to create a local copy of your gradebook.
Creating Assignments - How to create assignments in Sakai.
Viewing and Grading Assignments - How to view and grade assignments in Sakai.
Allow Student Resubmissions of Assignments - How to allow students the opportunity to resubmit an assignment.
Using Peer Assessment - How to use the Peer Review feature to enable students to review the work of their classmates.
- Using Turnitin with Sakai - Set up assignments to use Turnitin and check for possible student plagiarism.
- Instructor Submitting a Turnitin Assignment - Submit a paper to view the originality report.
Announcements - How to create and post announcements in Sakai.
Which Tool Do I Need? - A matrix explaining the Messages, Email, and Email Archive tools in Sakai and how to decide which one is best for the type of communication needed in your course.
- Message Tool - (Internal mail system) How to send messages and message copies to email through Sakai.
- Email Tool - How to send email directly to the email accounts of site participants from within Sakai.
- Email Archive Tool - How to create an email archive (course site listserv) to email all course participants outside of Sakai, and use the archive to save mail sent from the email tool.
Video Overview of Messages, Email, and Email Archive - A thorough review of each tool and how to use them in your course sites.
Forums - How to create Forums and Topics for discussion.
Blogs - How to create blogs in Sakai.
Tests and Quizzes
Allowing test retakes - How to allow a student or students to retake a Test or Quiz in Sakai.
Edit a Published Test or Quiz - How to edit and republish an assessment that has already been released.
Downloading Test Results - How to export and download a local copy of student test results as an Excel file.
Test Settings (Description, submissions and availability) - How to add a description, submissions and availability of a test.
Test Settings (Grading and Feedback): To to adjust the settings for grading and feedback.
Deleting Gradebook Items - How to delete items added to the Gradebook.
Grade Calculation in Points-Based Gradebooks - A description of how course grades are calculated by the Sakai gradebook in a points-based setup.
Points-Based Gradebook with Categories & Weighting - How to create a points-based Gradebook with weighted categories.
Extra Credit in Gradebook (No Categories, No Weighting) - How to create extra credit items in a Gradebook with points-based setup containing no categories or weighted items.
Extra Credit with Gradebook in Categories - How to create extra credit items in a Gradebook with points-based setup containing categories, but no weighted items.
Extra Credit with Gradebook in Categories and Weighting - How to create extra credit items in a Gradebook with points-based setup containing categories and weighting.
Grade Calculations in Percentage-Based Gradebooks - A description of how course grades are calculated by the Sakai gradebook in a percentage-based setup.
Adobe Connect - Web conferencing solution for conducting synchronous online classes and meetings.
Atomic Learning - Anytime, anywhere, online training site on over 250+ technology application and software.
Loyola Media - Cloud-based web server which facilitates the conversion and distribution of various audio and video formats.
Panopto - Software that provides an all-in-one interface to record screen content and video of the instructor.
Piazza - A platform that efficiently manages class Q&A.
VoiceThread - Places collections of media at the center of non-live conversation.
TopHat - Web-based response platform that provides a way to receive instant feedback from students.