LUC Box: Simple, Secure Content Sharing & Collaboration
LUC Box is a cloud-based file storage service available to faculty, staff, and students. The service provides a simple, secure way to store and share files and folders online. LUC Box consolidates your content in a single location, easily accessible from anywhere, on any device. You can create files and folders, share them using a direct link, invite others to collaborate, and continue to revise and review your content.
LUC Box provides:
- Simple file management. Store and organize documents, media, and other content online.
- Easy access. Access your content from anywhere, anytime, on any device.
- Cloud storage. 10GB of cloud-based storage for all Loyola students, faculty, and staff.
- Secure online file sharing and collaboration. Share files with anyone, inside or outside Loyola.
Setting up your LUC Box Account
Signing up is simple: Go to https://luc.box.com and follow the on-screen prompts. Your LUC Box account will be created immediately using your UVID credentials.
LUC Box offers faculty, staff, and students the enterprise version of the service. If you already have a free personal account through Box, or to learn more about the differences between the free and enterprise services, see Comparing Enterprise and Free Box Accounts.
Security in the Cloud
LUC Box provides an alternative to existing personal and departmental shared drives, and can make it easier to collaborate and access documents from anywhere on any device. Please note, however, that existing policies regarding sensitive data also apply to cloud storage services. It is never acceptable to store Loyola Protected data on any cloud service. This includes data such as grades, social security numbers, private correspondence, classified research, etc. We invite you to review Loyola’s Cloud Computing Policy for additional information.
Though similar in appearance to other consumer services such as DropBox, Google Drive and Skydrive, LUC Box has the added benefit of the University's administrative management and security. Also, your Box account is linked to your Loyola UVID, so there is no need for an additional username and password.
Documentation and Support
- Box Sync FAQ
- Box Admin Best Practices: Everyday Collaboration
- Video help on the Box YouTube channel
- Box User Resources for information on how to become a Box Expert
- What file extension types can be viewed by Box's Content Preview?
- Internet2 Box Announcement
- Internet2 Box FAQ
Box offers several apps that can add functionality and increase productivity. These include:
- Box for Office—Allows you to open, edit, save and share your Box files directly within Word, Excel or PowerPoint.
- Box Sync for Windows—Syncs files between your PC and Box account.
- Box Sync for Mac—Syncs files between your Mac and Box account.
There are also iPhone and Android apps available from their respective App Store or Marketplace. Blackberry and Windows Phone users can go to m.box.com for access via a mobile browser.
Contact the Help Desk
For further information or support, please contact Loyola's ITS Help Desk (4-4444 or by e-mail at Helpdesk@luc.edu).