Details for Students
What Loyola's Move to Microsoft Exchange Means for You
Loyola’s May 2013 email upgrade brings a wealth of new features and improvements for students, expanding the way you communicate within Loyola and with the outside world. As part of the upgrade, Loyola has moved away from GroupWise email to a Microsoft Exchange platform. The University has also begun offering students Microsoft Office 365, a fully integrated suite of programs that includes email and calendaring, select Office software (such as Word and Excel), SharePoint, and communication tools like messaging and voice, video, and web conferencing. These student tools are delivered through the cloud (i.e., through the internet).
The changes bring many benefits for students, including:
- More collaborative interactions via email, messaging, conferencing, and other tools
- Significant enhancements for both desktop users and those on mobile devices and tablets
- Streamlined access to Loyola email and calendars anytime, anywhere, on any device
- Access to email and calendar options using voice commands on your phone
- Increased storage capacity for files and attachments
- More seamless integration within the Microsoft Office products and within the cloud
- Tools to create and host personal and team websites
For more information about features and benefits, see the About Office 365 page.
What to Expect Before and After the Migration
Now that the Exchange system is live, all new email messages are being delivered to you via Office 365. Nothing from your old mailbox was moved automatically, though you can manually migrate certain items:
- Messages. Old messages can be imported into the new system; please see Moving GroupWise Messages to Office 365.
- Contacts. If you would like to migrate your contacts, please send a note to the email project team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Calendar. Elements from your old GroupWise calendar cannot be migrated. If you have any questions, please send a note to email@example.com.
- Other. All other settings, such as rules and signatures, will need to be re-created in the new system.
If you haven’t already reset your mobile connections, you can do so now. Step-by-step instructions are available on the Reconnecting Your Mobile Devices page. We know you’ll appreciate the improvements you’ll see when you connect to your new account from a phone or tablet; it’s a far superior experience than in GroupWise, and your email, contacts, and calendar will be synched in real time, regardless of your location.
We held two student webinars in late April. Recordings of these sessions are provided below. Additional resources are provided on the Documentation and Training page.
For More Information
More detailed information, is available through the menu at the right. If you have questions or comments about the project itself, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you need help with any of the new programs or features, please contact the Help Desk at 773.508.4487 or email@example.com.