Adding a Printer
Note: This guide is for Loyola staff and faculty only, and assumes you have an active UVID and password.
This document explains how to add printers and print drivers to your computer after your department has been upgraded to Windows 7. In order for local and network printers to function properly, you will need to reinstall them yourself while logged in with your ID and password.
There are two general approaches, depending on your setup.
- Installing a Printer from Your Computer’s Desktop – This approach uses Windows 7’s Add Printer wizard. It’s the easiest method if you are using a Loyola-imaged computer and are logged in with your UVID and password.
- Installing a Printer from the Web – This interface allows you to install a networked printer through the web. The option is often used for computers that are not part of Loyola’s Windows 7 image (for example, Macintosh computers or non-Loyola imaged desktops or laptops). This approach requires appropriate UVID credentials.
This approach uses Windows 7’s Add Printer wizard. It’s the easiest method if you are using a Loyola- imaged computer and are logged in with your UVID and password.
- To launch the Add Printer wizard, click on the Start menu and select on Devices and Printers.
- When the Devices and Printers box opens, Click Add a printer at the top of the window.
- From the Add a Printer dialogue box, select Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer.
- When prompted to select a printer, find the appropriate printer and click on it.
- When the Printers pop-up box appears, click Install driver to begin the installation.
- Once the process is complete, you will see a message that you have successfully added the printer. Click Next to continue.
- If you would like the new printer to be your default printer, click the check box and then click Finish to close the wizard.
This interface allows you to install a networked printer through the web. The option is often used for computers that are not part of Loyola’s Windows 7 image (for example, Macintosh computers or non- Loyola imaged desktops or laptops). This approach may require appropriate UVID credentials.
Open a web browser and go to one of the following:
- From LSC - http://psls01/printers/
- From WTC - http://pswt01/printers/
- For the Law School - http://lawwt01/printers/
- If prompted, enter your UVID and network password. Your UVID will need to be entered as adms\UVID (e.g., adms\jdoe). Check Remember my credentials if you do not wish to be prompted each time you try to access the printer. Click OK to continue.
- You will be presented with a list of all the printers on a particular campus. Browse the list and click on the name of the printer you wish to install.
- After clicking on the appropriate printer, you be redirected to the printer details. Navigate to the Printer Actions section and click Connect.
- When the Add Printer Connection pop-up window appears, click Yes. This will start the installation.
- Once complete, you will see a message in your browser that ‘The printer has been installed on your machine.’ The printer will be ready to use. To set the printer as your default, go to the Devices and Printers option from the Windows start menu.